Pacific Cod Sausage
  Re: (...)
Now, this is really off the wall!! But our fishing Capt. who has my 2nd freezer full of P.Cod and Red Snapper has been nagging me to make some sausage out of some of the fish.

Yesterday I made P.Cod Bratwurst...

2 1/2 lbs. fish
2 1/2 T. water or ice (did not use 'cause the frozen fish had so much liquid)
1 1/2 T. salt (next time I'd use a little less)
1/2 tsp. white pepper
2 1/4 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. each: coriander, marjoram, mace

I made it without casings - the instructions mentioned extruding the sausage thru the horn and cut it into appropriate links. Microwaved it for 1 minute, then smoked for 1 1/2 hours to bring it to 140 F.

Next time I think I'll smoke for a less amount of time and cook them as I use them rather than ready-to-eat-sausage.

Now, to figure out what all to do with these little goodies - pizza of some kind for sure, mixed with some fried potatoes?? maybe an omelet or quesadilla...............

ready to smoke -
[Image: codsausage.jpg]

smoked and ready to eat -
[Image: codsausage2.jpg]

For me the best thing about this recipe was learning the trick of not necessarily using casings for a sausage shape - they really held together well.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Pacific Cod Sausage by cjs (Now, this is really ...)
What an interesting (and healthy) alternative to traditional bratwurst. Sure wish I had a freezer full of cod and snapper! Lucky you!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Pacific Cod Sausage by cjs (Now, this is really ...)
Wow, they look great. Can't get my mind around how they might taste - but they look fantastic.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Pacific Cod Sausage by esgunn (Wow, they look grea...)
Quote:

Wow, they look great. Can't get my mind around how they might taste - but they look fantastic.

Me, too, Erin, I think it's the word sausage that keeps interrupting my train of thought. They do look good, though. Jean, you're having a hell of a time, aren't you?

Keep those ideas coming, I'm living vicariously through you at the moment...

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Pacific Cod Sausage by pjcooks ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
"Can't get my mind around" - and on top of that, they're "bratwurst" too.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pacific Cod Sausage by cjs ("Can't get my mind a...)
I'm sorry if I offend you, Jean, but these just aren't doing anything for me! I really do admire your creativity and sense of adventure, though.
  Re: Re: Pacific Cod Sausage by HomeCulinarian (I'm sorry if I offen...)
Having just had some fabulous smoked fish (mullet) a few weeks ago in Florida, I can almost taste this in my head. Sounds great to me, and since we have a smoker, might just have to be trying this.

Jean, you didn't say if you served this with any type of condiment or did you eat it plain?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Pacific Cod Sausage by Mare749 (Having just had some...)
We'll have to change Jean's name to "Mrs. Paul."
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Pacific Cod Sausage by labradors (We'll have to change...)
Jean...Derek had a fish sausage at Kings Estate Vineyards in OR when we were up there last year. We were skeptical, but I said try it!

He loved it!!! Said it was incased like a sausage but had a totally different flavor, and texture, but said everything about it was fantastic. I took a bite and thought wow this is da*n good
  Re: Re: Pacific Cod Sausage by DFen911 (Jean...Derek had a f...)
I haven't served it with anything yet - just made it and tasted. Still thinking what to use it in/on/with.

I just cut it up a little and we dipped in cocktail sauce and tasted by its self also.
www.achefsjourney.com