Help with growing cilantro....please!
  Re: (...)
Again this year I am attempting to grow cilantro. I have tried unsuccessfully several times. I bought a small plant and have it growing in a pot on my sunny front stoop. My problem is that after I cut some off for use, it always seems to come back with these feathery leaves that don't have much taste or smell. What is the big secret? Cis, I know you have successfully grown cilantro, any tips?
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Help with growing cilantro....please! by chef_Tab (Again this year I am...)
From my point of view, I always plant cilantro seeds so I have lots of plants. I let them grow for one 'harvesting' then get rid of the plants and maybe plant more seeds, they grow so fast and go to seed even faster. I keep my cilantro in the freezer.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Help with growing cilantro....please! by cjs (From my point of vi...)
I have not figured out why those feathery things come. When I harvest the cilantro, however many stems I'm going to take, I cut those right down. It doesn't seem like cilantro comes back like say basil or others do, with new growth below the cutting site. Maybe that's when those feather things grow? Anyway, as Jean said, try to grow alot or have back ups planted and cut what you need, making the cut near the soil level. Unless the stems have gotten hard, or woody as they say, you can chop them and use them too. Good luck Theresa
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Help with growing cilantro....please! by farnfam (I have not figured o...)
Thanks gals! I should get seeds and add them to the pot, I guess. Sheesh, it sure is a high maintanence plant!

Jean, when you say you keep it in the freezer, do you just put the cuttings in there? Wrapped in saran or what?
Theresa

Re: Re: Help with growing cilantro....please! by chef_Tab (Thanks gals! I shoul...)
I gave up on growing cilantro for all the reasons already described and just buy it at the grocery store.
  Re: Re: Help with growing cilantro....please! by HomeCulinarian (I gave up on growing...)
Theresa, I'd put them in some other separate pots, not in the same pot.
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Help with growing cilantro....please! by farnfam (Theresa, I'd put th...)
This is sounding like a lot of work! More pots??? JK.
Theresa

Re: Re: Help with growing cilantro....please! by chef_Tab (This is sounding lik...)
I just freeze the stems and all (there is as much flavor in the stems as the leaf) on a b. sheet and then just store in a baggie. I even use it in 'fresh' salsa except when I'm making it for a party/guests because it is a little dark, but doesn't harm the flavor at all.

It's one of the easiest things to grow and harvest to have on hand at all times.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Help with growing cilantro....please! by cjs (I just freeze the st...)
Just checked in to say hi and to thank you for the info! I have passed up on many dinners because I didn't have fresh cilantro or what I had went bad before I could get to it. I don't grow it yet but buy it fresh in the market. I will try freezing it for our tacos de carnitas and pico de gallo. Is the texture good?
  Re: Re: Help with growing cilantro....please! by coco hernandez (Just checked in to s...)
I think the texture is fine, just put in a baggie and freeze. Another tand hing you can do is chop it up with a little water and freeze in an ice cube tray. I guess one cube equals a tablespoon or two. I've done both ways and works great. I don't know why I keep on growing it, guess I enjoy the challenge
Cis
Empress for Life