Tomatoes Anyone?
  Re: (...)
Although I'm not particularly fond of touching tomato plants (you get that smell all over you...yuk!) I planted my 7th one today and will plant my 8th tomorrow. I'll have 4 in the ground and 4 in the Topsy-Turvy hanging thingies. The ones in the ground are: Sun Gold Cherry, Sweet Million, a yellow pear, and a Glacier that is a little bigger than a cherry tomato. Hanging: Momotaro (a popular Japanese), 2 Super Marzanos, and a Big Beef. For someone that considers tomatoes just OK, I'll sure have enough.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Tomatoes Anyone? by bjcotton (Although I'm not par...)
That sounds yummy Billy - just keep the squirrels away.

Sally
  Re: Re: Tomatoes Anyone? by lxxf (That sounds yummy Bi...)
MMmmm, tomatoes, no such thing as enough
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Tomatoes Anyone? by farnfam (MMmmm, tomatoes, no ...)
There is in this house...Paul won't eat cooked tomatoes (except Campbell's Tomato Soup.) so those over a handful for a salad will be going to the neighbors or family.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Tomatoes Anyone? by bjcotton (There is in this hou...)
Gotta love ya, Billy, all that work and you give them away. Hmmm, maybe I should move in next door so I can be the recipient of the fruits of your labor

No tomatoes for me this year, the Japanese beetles destroyed everything last year, I'm growing some herbs but am moving them to a different location in the yard-I can't plant anything in the ground, because we have a sprinkler system and I can't mess with the pipes.

Good Luck!!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Tomatoes Anyone? by pjcooks (Gotta love ya, Billy...)
Billy, I love that tomato-plant smell!
We're off to visit my parents this weekend and I hope that my Dad will have some extra plants to share since mine all seem to have wilted and died. I just cannot seem to grow them from seed (unless they're volunteers...).
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Tomatoes Anyone? by foodfiend (Billy, I love that t...)
We've put in 10 tomato plants, some mystery varieties from my BIL, brandywine, yellow plum, romas, cherries. We LOVE tomatoes and look forward to them every year. Also have some leaf lettuce, beets, broccoli, cauliflower, and herbs.
  Re: Tomatoes Anyone? by bjcotton (Although I'm not par...)
What a nice variety you got, Billy. Be sure to take some pics later on this summer to show us. Sure wish I was one of your neighbors! We love tomatoes and there is no such thing as too many. Are you going to plant anything else, like something you do enjoy?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Tomatoes Anyone? by Mare749 (What a nice variety ...)
I am almost embarassed to say how many tomatoes I am planting...ok I will wisper....ninety....All heirlooms...Cannot wait. The question during summer in our house is not whats for dinner but what are we having with tomatoes.

I will have about 15 varieties. Here is the list that I can remember off the top of my head

Purple cherokee
chocolate chrokee
green cherokee
japanese black truffle
pink brandywine
mr. stripey
Pineapple
Chocolate brandywine
peach tomato
white tomato...dont remember the name
German orange strawberry
Kellogg Breakfast
Kentucky
Green Zebra
Giant Green zebra

There are a couple of others but cant come up with names. Planting tomorrow...wooo hoooo
  Re: Re: Tomatoes Anyone? by piano226 (I am almost embarass...)
Lol wow I'm impressed. All I did was plant one plant as I'm the only one that eats them. But seems my cherry tomatoes from last year has made an appearance. I now have 1 large full tomato plant and 4 cherry tomatoe plants.

I envy you guys who have enough room to plant all these different varities!