18 Hour Bread Help
  Re: (...)
All I have is Instant Dry Yeast, not the Active Dry Yeast called for. Can I sub the instant? thx.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: 18 Hour Bread Help by Lorraine (All I have is Instan...)
Lorraine, I think I have used both for most of my breads and have never noticed a problem. But I'm thinking someone with more experience may need to chime in here.

I have GOT to get back into cooking and baking! We tested at school last week, even though I have been sick as a dog!!!! Still have to remediate next week and retest the week after...UGH!!! But then it will ALL be over!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: 18 Hour Bread Help by Gourmet_Mom (Lorraine, I think I ...)
I was watching Alton Brown the other night and his "power was out" so the theme was Dutch Ovens. He did an 18 hour bread in his dutch oven that I must try.

Not that it helps your question at all, but I would think you could use it. You just don't have to bloom it first. But I will defer to those with a lot more exp than I
  Re: Re: 18 Hour Bread Help by DFen911 (I was watching Alton...)
Lorraine, I've used both interchangeably and 18hr bread is very forgiving anyway. Go ahead and try it
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: 18 Hour Bread Help by DFen911 (I was watching Alton...)
I only use Instant Yeast. Works beautifully.
Shannon
  Re: Re: 18 Hour Bread Help by Dismc (I only use Instant Y...)
I've used both and it didn't make any difference because you are letting the dough sit for 18 hours anyway. If you haven't made this yet, you are in for a treat!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: 18 Hour Bread Help by Dismc (I only use Instant Y...)
Weird, I thought I posted a reply. I've used both, use instant most of the time. The DO works great, just be careful if you use Le Creuset with the plastic knobs, they can melt at the high temps. I use my black matte oval LC because it has a metal knob, works really well. Staub and Emile Henry flametop work well too. If you like the 18 hour, you may want to try the Artisan in Five bread. Same idea, but a lot easier. I like bigger loaves so I do 3 instead of 4 out of one batch. Good luck.
  Re: Re: 18 Hour Bread Help by Cubangirl (Weird, I thought I p...)
Down here, the only yeast I can get is the instant. Although I've never made this particular recipe, I've never had any problems with the instant. Instead of getting it started in warm water and sugar, just mix the yeast directly in with the rest of the dry ingredients. Then, at the point where the recipe would say to add the yeast mixture, add the sugar water (i.e. the yeast mixture minus the yeast).
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: 18 Hour Bread Help by labradors (Down here, the only ...)
I went ahead and used the instant, it's on it's second rise now. I have a cast iron DO, so will cook it in that. If it turns out, I'd like to make a jalapeno cheddar bread (after I make the roiasted garlic one). I was thinking of adding the jalapeno and cheese at the second rise. Do you think this would work? Thanks for all the answers.

I never realized there was a difference in dried yeast. Thinking back to some of the recipes I made that didn't rise in the given time, I'm wondering I was using the wrong yeast.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: 18 Hour Bread Help by Lorraine (I went ahead and use...)
When I add stuff, like garlic, cheese, herbs etc. to the 18hr bread, I have always done it right in the original mixing. Not to say that that is the only way it can be done tho'.....I think Jean has added stuff, maybe it was in the second rise??? Again, 18hr bread is such forgiving stuff, it'd probbly work. It might just make the second rise take a bit longer is all. What do you think, Jean?
Cis
Empress for Life