New Cookbooks
  Re: (...)
I found a new bookstore! It's about 13 miles away but they have cookbooks I've never seen before. I bought two yesterday; "The Spice Cookbook" by Avanelle Day and Lillie Stuckey, pub. 1964; and, "Let's Cook It Right"'Good Health Comes From Good Cooking,' by Adelle Davis, pub. 1947. The bookstore also has "James Beard on Bread" which she is holding for me, and a bunch of others I've not looked through yet.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: New Cookbooks by bjcotton (I found a new bookst...)
Billy, I was reading an ancient Gourmet magazine this week, and I think the spice book was mentioned in it. Adelle davis. I haven't heard that name mentioned in years. did she not author, or co-author "Recipes For a Small Planet", or am I confused? So, what else did they have?
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: New Cookbooks by Lorraine (Billy, I was reading...)
I only had a few minutes, but they had a LOT of old cookbooks and new ones too, all used of course. Adelle Davis also wrote: Optimum Health, You Can Stay Well, and Vitality Through Planned Nutrition. I'm planning on going back next week and spend a couple of hours there. Anyone want me to look for something specific?

Someone wrote a recipe on the front flyleaf for "Hamburger Corn Pone Pie." It is as follows:

1 pound ground beef
1/3 cup chopped onion
1 Tbsp shortening
2 tsp chile powder
3/4 tsp salt
1 tsp Worchestershire sauce
1 cup canned tomatoes
1 cup drained kidney beans
1 cup corn bread batter
1/2 pkg corn muffin mix or 1/2 cup standard corn bread mixture

Brown meat and add onion in the melted shortening. Add seasonings and tomatoes. Cover and simmer over low heat for 15 mintes, then add kidney beans. Pour meat mixture into a greased casserole. Top with corn bread batter. Bake at 425° for 20 minutes.

This copy is a first edition, it was published twice more.

Billy
  Re: Re: New Cookbooks by bjcotton (I only had a few min...)
Adelle Davis was interesting and popular for a while, until she was scientifically and medically discredited. Of course, that wouldn't make the recipes taste bad - just take her "science" as you would take the claims of colon cleansers and blood-type-specific diets.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: New Cookbooks by labradors (Adelle Davis was int...)
What a fun place to wander thru!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: New Cookbooks by bjcotton (I only had a few min...)
Quote:

spend a couple of hours there

I hope they have a comfortable chair.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: New Cookbooks by Lorraine ( [blockquote]Quote:[...)
That would be my new favorite place to visit. Have fun!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: New Cookbooks by Mare749 (That would be my new...)
How fun!!!!! We don't even have a REGULAR bookstore for MILES!!!!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: New Cookbooks by Gourmet_Mom (How fun!!!!! We don...)
Oh I'm jealous. We don't have any used bookstores like that to find treasures. All we have is a B&N. I found one in Arizona and spent almost 2 hours in it just wandering around.
  Re: Re: New Cookbooks by DFen911 (Oh I'm jealous. We d...)
Luckily the owner used to work at the old bookstore so she knows me and will hold things for me. She also told me about this new store that's coming and thinks the lady either has pink salt or knows where to get it. I ordered some from cooking.com and it wasn't terribly expensive (8 oz for $10.95).

Billy