OT :blush: Oh My, I'm so embarassed, but happy!
  Re: (...)
Edited to add: Just found out it was all a mistake, someone had bought wood from a neighbor and pulled into our driveway by mistake. The neigbor was wondering why the wood was never picked up! He came at Easter because his nephew was over to help then. Once the word got around that we'd been robbed, the real story came out. I can't tell you how relieved we are!!!

James went back in the woods today to make sure there was room for another load of logs, only to find that the last load, about 10 cord which was cut and drying back there, had been STOLEN. This is so dicouraging, we were almost all set for next winter. Wood takes a while to dry and a lot of effort to cut and stack, now it's all gone.
I'm just sick about it. Sorry to be a bummer
Our neighbor saw two guys loading a trailer while we were away over Easter, he thought maybe we sold it to them. How did they know we were gone, and how did they know where he keeps the wood anyway??? I don't even feel safe anymore
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: OT :blush: Oh My, I'm so embarassed, but happy! by farnfam (Edited to add: Just ...)
Oh Cis, I'm so sorry that happened to you guys! I wonder if it would be edited out if I say: Some people just suck.
I worry about our farm house when we go to the lake for just a weekend.
Is there someplace closer to your home where you can stack the wood? Within your sight-line, to keep an eye on it? I'm just asking because the thieves probably knew that it was away from your house, they might not even have known that you were away?
Scumbags, they are!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: OT But I feel so bad about it by foodfiend (Oh Cis, I'm so sorry...)
Thank you, Vicci, it's comforting to hear. The wood is out of sight, back on the property, but they'd have to use my driveway to get there, not likely I wouldn't see or hear a big trailer being backed in. So I'm sure they knew we were not home. I'm certain it's someone who knew there was wood there, it's not something you'd happen upon accidently. And to do it in broad daylight! James is so devastated, he worked so hard for months on that.
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: OT But I feel so bad about it by farnfam (Thank you, Vicci, it...)
My brother does the same thing with wood (he has a wood burning stove and his house is always so warm in the winter!), only he stacks it behind his garage. Unfortunately snakes tend to hang out there, so my 10-year-old nieces refuse to even go near there.

Tell me, because I'm clueless about this sort of thing, how big is 10 cord of wood? About ____ high x ____wide x ____ long??? It sounds like a lot, and what nerve of someone to access the area from your own driveway! Grrrr. I'm mad along with you!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: OT But I feel so bad about it by foodfiend (My brother does the ...)
Cis,

That's a hard loss to take! We have a wood burning stove we use in the winter and buy our wood now since when the Hubby tried to remove his thumb with a wood splitter. It's not cheap!!

Maybe you should install a closed circuit tv system to monitor who drives in and out of your driveway. At least get a shot of the vehicle and license plate. I have a friend in a lesser populated part of Texas that has such a setup. She eBays regularly and has used the tapes to actually prove her case when things don't get delivered.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: OT But I feel so bad about it by foodfiend (My brother does the ...)
These were face cords 4x16"x8. So much work and so little time to catch up.

Yes, Barbara, we're thinking that a camera is going to have to be installed. How frustrating, the extra expense of that on top of the expense of the lost wood and then the replacement wood. I hope we can find someone to buy from, most people have sold whatever they're selling by now, <sigh>
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: OT But I feel so bad about it by farnfam (These were face cord...)
Oh Cis, my heart is breaking for you! Ron and I know firsthand how much work that is, and the expense involved if you have to buy it already cut. I think the worst thing of all is that someone invaded your property and privacy. It had to have been someone who knew you were going to be away. I'm soooo sorry for you both. It just destroys your faith in humanity when stuff like that happens and people like you and James just don't deserve that.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: OT But I feel so bad about it by farnfam (These were face cord...)
Quote:

These were face cords 4x16"x8. So much work and so little time to catch up.

Yes, Barbara, we're thinking that a camera is going to have to be installed. How frustrating, the extra expense of that on top of the expense of the lost wood and then the replacement wood. I hope we can find someone to buy from, most people have sold whatever they're selling by now, <sigh>

This could be worth checking into your homeowner's insurance, just see if there's any recompence.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: OT :blush: Oh My, I'm so embarassed, but happy! by farnfam (Edited to add: Just ...)
I'm glad this had a happy ending, Cis! My ex has a wood burning furnace and my boys cut, split and stack enough wood to last the winter, which you know is a lot. I'm glad all came out well for you, what a nightmare that must have been!

PJ
PJ
Oh lordy I'm so happy for you! I know how you must have felt - and I can just imagine the sense of relief knowing that you weren't robbed. Is the neighbor going to replace the wood???

I was going to suggest you call the sheriff or whatever your nearest law enforcement is. I know it seems silly - how are they going to track wood? It does work though, we had to call the sheriff because someone stole our fence (1200 running feet of 2 board 2" x 8" double board redwood fencing - at least 40 years old). I was astonished when the officer called in "grand theft - fence". We all almost died laughing at the incongruity of it. But the fence was found, it went to court, and I can't for the life of me remember the results.

Dancing the happy dance for ya!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!