Cornstarch in Meatballs?
  Re: (...)
I think I'm going to make the "Spiced Meatballs in Fragrant Tomato Sauce with Eggplant, Zucchini and Cilantro Gremolata tonight.

For the meatballs you add 2 Tbsp. of cornstarch to the meat mixture. Has anyone ever heard of adding cornstarch to meatballs? I never have!
  Re: Cornstarch in Meatballs? by Trixxee (I think I'm going to...)
Usually it is cheese and or egg to bind. Never heard of the cornstarch. Is there any other binder? What issue is the recipe in?
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Cornstarch in Meatballs? by esgunn (Usually it is cheese...)
Issue 73 - February 2009.

There is an egg. And it's for 1 pound of ground meat (either pork, chicken, turkey or lean beef).
  Re: Re: Cornstarch in Meatballs? by Trixxee (Issue 73 - February ...)
I have never heard of adding cornstarch to meatballs either. 2T seems like a lot too. Sorry, I am of no help here!
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Cornstarch in Meatballs? by chef_Tab (I have never heard o...)
I think I'll just skip it. I'm scared.
  Re: Re: Cornstarch in Meatballs? by Trixxee (I think I'll just sk...)
Trix, skipping it is probbly a good idea, no family recipe I've ever done had cornstarch in it. Is there breadcrumb as part of the recipe? If not, it may be it's supposed to do the job of the breadcrumb, but it sounds yucky to me. That's just my humble Italian opinion.
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Cornstarch in Meatballs? by farnfam (Trix, skipping it is...)
No breadcrumbs. Just the meat, grated onion, egg, S&P, cumin, coriander, allspice, red pepper flakes. I think I will add some breadcrumbs though.
  Re: Re: Cornstarch in Meatballs? by Trixxee (No breadcrumbs. Jus...)
Or Panko! Makes it just a little lighter.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Cornstarch in Meatballs? by Trixxee (No breadcrumbs. Jus...)
My brain is shot these days, but does anyone remember a review dinner with some sort of spiced meatballs that were cooked on skewers? I remember some people even posted pictures. I participated and loved those meatballs, but can't remember the name of the recipe, or which issue/book. It might have been someone's birthday dinner. Now I am craving them.....must have them.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Cornstarch in Meatballs? by chef_Tab (My brain is shot the...)
I've used cornstarch in meatballs - Lion Head meatballs call for it and some of the other Asian recipes. I would use it if I were you.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com