Farm update
  Re: (...)
Yesterday, William went to a local farm store that holds a livestock auction on the first Saturday every month. I had wanted to go, but he said he wasn't sure it was going to be all that. When he got there, he called...."It's like a zoo! There's chickens, rabbits, goats, sheep, peacocks, ducks...You wouldn't believe it!!!" Oh well, he promised to take me next month. While there, he entered a raffle and proceeded to win 3 out of ten tickets. We've got enough chicken feed to last a while. When he got back to the farm, Cricket and I ran out there to check out the new chickens and see how our garden grows.

Here's a look at how things are going: Farm Update
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Farm update by Gourmet_Mom (Yesterday, William w...)
How wonderful! I want chickens - don't know if we can do it though. The only way, legally, is to get some kind of chicken and call it a pet. No agriculture allowed in "city" limits.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Farm update by Harborwitch (How wonderful! I wa...)
Oh, I totally forgot. I meant to share the deck garden! I had to wait on more dirt to pot the rest of the lettuce, which I did today. I also got my parsley today, as well. I added the chive to the tomato pots. I'm really pleased with how they're doing. We've had several salads so far!

[Image: DeckGarden.jpg]
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Farm update by Gourmet_Mom (Oh, I totally forgot...)
Lookin' good, Daphne. Sharon, we've decided to ignore the city fathers and get 3 or 4 hens. Too late this year, but we will build the house and pen this summer.

Just got back from getting the lumber to start the green house tomorrow! It's been so long since we've had a building project, so I'm really anxious.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Farm update by cjs (Lookin' good, Daphne...)
I'm really thinking the same way. We're going to have to build a "chicken tractor" first but I want fresh eggs and bug control all in one!
  Re: Re: Farm update by Harborwitch (I'm really thinking ...)
Jesse will just love all those chickens
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Farm update by bjcotton (Jesse will just love...)
No chickens before this visit - Jesse needs to have slightly better manners first Chickens are not chew toys Jesse. LOL
  Re: Re: Farm update by Harborwitch (No chickens before t...)
We raised chickens when I was a kid. Not for eggs. I remember a half dozen fryers flopping around in the yard after my grandmother wrang their necks. Bloody mess and the smell of the feathers in hot water as she plucked them. Good chicken--true free range--I was a major duck hunter--cleaned them and ate them for years--I'd rather buy chicken from somebody else--I still remember the smell when plucking. I'm still a card carrying carnivore!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Farm update by Old Bay (We raised chickens w...)
Fortunately I have no memories like that Bill. We can have "pet" chickens - it is illegal to kill any animal for food in the city limits. No roosters allowed, just hens. No blood, no guts, no feathers!
  Re: Re: Farm update by Harborwitch (No chickens before t...)
Quote:

No chickens before this visit - Jesse needs to have slightly better manners first Chickens are not chew toys Jesse. LOL

... or, as Chance said in the movie, Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey, "Which of you are regular, and which are extra crispy?" LOL!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?