Streusel Apple-Pie Cookies
  Re: (...)
From another Everett Herald food section -

Streusel apple-pie cookies
The flavor of apple pie in a cookie - These treats are one part cookie, one part pie.

For the cookies:
1 cup shortening
1/2 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup powdered sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 large egg
2 egg yolks
1 tablespoon baking powder
21/4 cups all-purpose flour
3 medium apples, peeled, cored and finely diced
For the streusel:
11/2 cups rolled oats
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
2 teaspoons brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
41/2 tablespoons melted butter
1/2 cup jarred caramel sundae sauce (optional)

Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or lightly coat with baking spray.

To make the cookie dough, in a large bowl use an electric mixer to cream together the shortening, the sugars, vanilla, salt, pumpkin pie spice and cinnamon. Scrape the bowl with a silicone spatula.

Beat in the egg and egg yolks, scraping the bowl as needed. Beat in the baking powder and flour, scraping the bowl again as needed. Mix in the apples. Refrigerate the bowl of dough for 30 minutes.

While the dough chills, heat the oven to 375 degrees.

Meanwhile, make the streusel topping. In a food processor combine the rolled oats, both sugars, cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice. Pulse 2 or 3 times, or enough to just chop the oats. Drizzle in the melted butter, then pulse 1 or 2 times to just mix. Set aside.

Drop 1-tablespoon balls of the chilled dough on the prepared cookie sheets, leaving about 2 inches between each. Use your fingers to slightly flatten each cookie; they may be sticky.

Carefully sprinkle streusel mixture over each cookie. Bake for 13 to 15 minutes. Use a spatula to transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool. Be sure to let the baking sheets cool between batches.

If desired, just before serving drizzle each cookie with caramel sauce.

Makes 42 to 45 cookies.

Associated Press
-----

I think I have to make these!! Drool, drool
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Streusel Apple-Pie Cookies by cjs (From another Everett...)
Me too! (After vacation) Thanks Jean. Yum.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Streusel Apple-Pie Cookies by Mare749 (Me too! (After vaca...)
I have to stop dropping in here! This is about the 3rd recipe that I copied today that I want to make. I already have piles of others that I want to make and just don't feel up to it. Now I've got 3 more! It's all your fault, Jean!

after I posted this and re-read it I didn't like the way it sounded. I meant for it to be humorous but I don't think it came over that way. Sorry!
Shirley
  Re: Streusel Apple-Pie Cookies by cjs (From another Everett...)
Those sound really good! Thanks for sharing - I think! My kids will be happy!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Streusel Apple-Pie Cookies by esgunn (Those sound really g...)
My favorite Streusel Apple pie cookies are the ones in the CAH Holiday Baking book. They are baked in a springform pan and are so easy and quick. They keep as long as they last (even with just 2 of us, they are so good they go fast). I don't know if it is ok to post the recipe as for once I have not made any changes, I make it exactly as written. They are always part of any party cookie assortment.
  Re: Re: Streusel Apple-Pie Cookies by Cubangirl ( My favorite Streuse...)
It's fine to post any C@H recipe - this is their forum.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Streusel Apple-Pie Cookies by cjs (It's fine to post an...)
We like the Streusel Apple Pie cookies from the Holiday Baking book, too. Easy and always a hit. I was thinking of that recipe, too, when I first read this post.
  Re: Re: Streusel Apple-Pie Cookies by HomeCulinarian (We like the Streusel...)
Ok, here's the recipe from my Living Cookbook files:

APPLE PIE BARS***** Servings: 16

Oven Temperature: 350°F

For the base and the streusel:
Combine:
2 cups all-purpose flour
¾ cup cup brown sugar
¾ tsp ground cinnamon (I use Penzeys Extra Fancy Vietnamese Cassia Cinnamon here)
½ tsp table salt
Cut in:
6 TBS.. cold unsalted butter
3 TBS.. milk
Stir into the streusel:
3 TBS.. unsalted butter, melted
For the apple filling:
Toss together:
3 ½ cups Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored & diced. about 1 1/2 lbs
1/3 cup sugar
¼ cup heavy cream
1 TBS.. all-purpose flour
1 tsp vanilla extract
¼ tsp ground cinnamon ( I use Penzeys China Cassia Cinnamon here)
pinch of salt

Preheat oven to 350°. Coat a 10” Spring form pan with non-stick spray (9”ok)
*** I will put a sheet of parchment between over the glass and close the pan, and spry it, so I can easily move the cookies to a plate and not have to cut on top of the glass bottom.

Combine 2 cups flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt for the base and streusel mixture in a bowl. Transfer ¾ cup of the mixture to a second bowl; set aside for the streusel later. Cut 6 TBS.. cold butter and milk into the remaining dry ingredients using a pastry blender or your fingers. Mix until clumps form.

Pat the mixture evenly into the prepared pan, using a measuring cup to tamp down the dough. Bake for 15-20 (15) or until set and golden at the edges.

Stir melted butter into the reserved streusel mixture until sandy, set aside.

Toss all ingredients for the filling together. Arrange over the hot base, pushing apple pieces to the edges of the pan to completely cover the crust.

Sprinkle the apples with the streusel topping, and bake until apples are soft and streusel is golden, 30-40 minutes (35 +5 w/oven off).

Cool bars for at least 30 minutes before removing the side of the pan and cutting into wedges. Store bars at room temperature or chill.

Do not freeze or double recipe. Recipe can be baked on a 10” fluted tart pan with removable bottom or 9” square pan.

Cooking Times
Preparation Time: 30 minutes Cooking Time: 1 hour Inactive Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours

Source: CAH Holiday Cookies

Recipe Type
Cookies, Desserts
  Re: Re: Streusel Apple-Pie Cookies by Cubangirl ( Ok, here's the reci...)
I agree that the CaH apple pie bars from the holiday baking book are amazing!