Dark Baking Pans
  Re: (...)
I made a recipe yeaterday that I have made for years with no problems. I usually make it in a light coloured springform pan. Yesterday, (to make it look pretty), I used one of his dark coloured tart pans. I cooked it at the same temperature, for less time than normal, but it came out much darker (and a tad overcooked) than I wanted. I seem to remember hearing somewhere that dark coloured pans will affect the baking time / temperature. Is this true, and if so, how much do you compensate for it? As it is for a raffle, I'm thinking I may have to make another one today. Thanks!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Dark Baking Pans by Lorraine (I made a recipe yeat...)
That is true, Lorraine, but I sure don't know the rule of thumb for allowing for the dark pan. Other than testing each recipe sooner. Hope someone else has more info for you.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Dark Baking Pans by cjs (That is true, Lorrai...)
I have no specific formula either, but I found that I have to place a note to myself in each of my dark pans that, in no uncertain terms, declares "DARK PANS BAKE FASTER!!!!". Otherwise, I never remember until it's too late...

The dark pans absorb heat faster, light pans reflect. I just cannot seem to remember that while I am baking!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Dark Baking Pans by Lorraine (I made a recipe yeat...)
Lorraine, I always lower the oven temp by 25 degrees when using dark pans. Start checking for doneness sooner. (Is that a word? Spellcheck doesn't think so)

Hope this helps.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Dark Baking Pans by pjcooks (Lorraine, I always l...)
Thanks, everyone. I cooked it at 350 for about 30 minutes, and it was done. We'll glaze it tomnorrow when we get there. Thanks again, now I know. ;smile:
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Dark Baking Pans by Lorraine (Thanks, everyone. I ...)
I would suggest that you just go back to your light pans---I have noticed recipes (including the mega-muffin recipes at C@H)) state that the light pans are much better for keeping a more accurate timing. The science of it?--- I have not researched this but I think this would be an interesting education in dark vs.light baking pans.
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy