What Are Friends For??
  Re: (...)
A friend sent me this article from the N.Y.Times and I want to share with all of you. Myself, I keep all my friends as close to me as they will allow me - from the 4th grade (1950) on and I hope you all have friends like this also.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/21/health...m&emc=eta1

There are seven friends I would run to in a N.Y. minute with news such as in the article.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: What Are Friends For?? by cjs (A friend sent me thi...)
Great article, Jean. Funny---but I almost always turn to my friends in times of stress. Family members, for some odd reason, cannot be objective when dealing with another family member's problems.

Thanks--I'm sure others will agree with this article.
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: What Are Friends For?? by Roxanne 21 (Great article, Jean....)
I couldn't agree more. Look at us, while I was going through my troubles I received so much support from my friends here I rarely stressed-out about anything. It made my grief easier to bear and I recovered from my surgery much faster.

I have known that friends are the ones I could turn to when I needed support for many years. Perhaps that is why I am so open and pollyanna-ish (bless your heart Jean my dear).
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: What Are Friends For?? by bjcotton (I couldn't agree mor...)
Nice story, Jean. Thanx for sharing it.
  Re: Re: What Are Friends For?? by HomeCulinarian (Nice story, Jean. T...)
It makes me wonder how men are affected by this. I don't know many men who have the same bonds with friends that women do. I really do treasure my buds. They have made my life so much richer.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: What Are Friends For?? by chef_Tab (It makes me wonder h...)
Quote:

It makes me wonder how men are affected by this. I don't know many men who have the same bonds with friends that women do. I really do treasure my buds. They have made my life so much richer.

I have two male friends that I have known for years that have wept for me and vice versa. Many trials and tribulations have been shared. There about ten others who have earned my respect with their dedication and strength of character--this happened over a period of years---I feel I could go to them too.

I feel the same as Billy about this little forum.
I think most men probably limit the number of people they show emotions to, more so than women--women are much less inhibited--maybe that is why most live longer. Good article.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: What Are Friends For?? by cjs (A friend sent me thi...)
Great article Jean. Thanks for sharing! I have many long time friends that I cherish. Just yesterday I had lunch with 3 "young ladies" that I have been friends with since the 7th grade (1944). We have lunch once a month. We will be having out-of-town guests who we have been friends with since 1951. He was bestman at our wedding almost 53 years ago. Those are just a few examples of our long time friends. I wholeheartedly agree with that article!
Shirley
  Re: Re: What Are Friends For?? by smschwag (Great article Jean. ...)
Oh my God, Shirley - FINALLY someone is older than me, by just a little, but you still are!!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What Are Friends For?? by cjs (Oh my God, Shirley -...)
It sounds like more that a little. I think you said you were in the 4th grade in 1950......I was a high school grad in 1950. But age is only a number, right?
Shirley
  Re: Re: What Are Friends For?? by smschwag (It sounds like more ...)
yes, but.....I love it that someone's elses is higher than mine, even if it has to be you, sweetie!
www.achefsjourney.com