Fried Noodles w/Ham, Scallions, & Cabbage Review
  Re: (...)
This recipe is from Issue #50, page 47 and what a surprisingly good dish. It tastes so fresh and summery - we loved it. I don't remember anyone reviewing this, but guess I'd better go look!

Fried Noodles with Ham, Scallions, and Cabbage
(Cuisine at home, April 2005, Issue 50, p. 47)
Makes: 5 Cups Total Time: 30–40 Minutes

Cook:
1 pkg. (9 oz.) fresh linguine, cooked, drained

Prepare; Keep Separated:
1 cup ham, cubed
1 cup napa cabbage, sliced into ribbons
1 cup cucumber, halved lengthwise, thinly sliced
4 scallions, bias sliced

Combine; Set Aside:
2 T. garlic, minced
2 T. ginger, minced
1 jalapeño, seeded, minced

Beat; Set Aside:
2 eggs
Pinch of salt

Stir Together:
3 T. white wine vinegar
3 T. sugar
Pinch red pepper flakes

Heat; Add Eggs, Cook Until Set; Fry Ham:
2 T. vegetable oil

Garnish:
Lime wedges for serving

Cook pasta in a pot of boiling, salted water for 2 minutes. Drain and spread on a greased baking sheet to cool.

Prepare ham, cabbage, cucumber, and scallions, keeping each separate. Set aside.

Combine garlic, ginger, and jalapeño and set aside.

Beat eggs with salt and set aside.

Stir together vinegar, sugar, and pepper flakes until sugar is dissolved. Set aside.

Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add eggs and cook until set, stirring often, about 1 minute; transfer to a plate. Fry ham in the same pan for 2–3 minutes, or until browned. Transfer it to the plate with eggs. Add 1 T. oil, then fry garlic, ginger, and jalapeño until aromatic, about 30 seconds. Stir in pasta, tossing to coat with oil and aromatics; fry another minute. Stir in vinegar mixture, then add the cooked eggs, fried ham, and vegetables. Turn off heat and toss until combined.

Garnish with limes on the side to squeeze over noodles.

Nutrition Information (Per cup):
394 calories 27% calories from fat 12g total fat 53g carb. 551mg sodium 3g fiber

------
I had everything prepped early in the day, so it was a breeze to put together at dinner time.

Be sure to use the lime - we didn't have one in the house, but a sprinkle of lime juice was wonderful!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Fried Noodles w/Ham, Scallions, & Cabbage Review by cjs (This recipe is from ...)
I made this a LONG time ago---maybe 2005??

My notes say it was a very nice summery dish....I did not have the napa cabbage though and used cos/romaine lettuce. We now have napa on the shelves--I just may try this again and see if there is much of a difference. Our original rating was a solid 8.

I have done soooo many recipes from the issues that I have not reviewed but I will be more than happy to contribute a comment when a recipe comes up.
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Fried Noodles w/Ham, Scallions, & Cabbage Review by Roxanne 21 (I made this a LONG t...)
Looks great and I really like the low calorie count. I'll be trying this one!
  Re: Fried Noodles w/Ham, Scallions, & Cabbage Review by cjs (This recipe is from ...)
That sounds really good. Light and quick. Thanks for bringing this up again.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
What a coincidence, Jean, this was on my short list for my birthday dinner review! Now I'll have to try it, thanks for the review!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Fried Noodles w/Ham, Scallions, & Cabbage Review by pjcooks (What a coincidence, ...)
I made this for a late dinner last night. Once everything is prepped it cooks really quickly. We both really liked it and think it's a great twist for ham. It's also pretty low cal.

Since I had nearly a full head of napa cabbage leftover, I googled for a slaw recipe using napa. I found one on on someone's site called smittenkitchen.com from Gourmet and mixed it up last night except for radishes, which I will add after I get some today.

Napa Cabbage Salad with Buttermilk Dressing
Gourmet, November 2007

The dressing is a simple blend of buttermilk, apple cider vinegar, a touch of mayo, shallots, sugar, salt and pepper but the flavor is anything but. This is my new go-to creamy dressing. I am sure it would equally delicious with some crumbled blue cheese mixed in, if you’re into that kind of thing.

The dressing would be really great on an iceberg wedge or romaine hearts salad, or any kind of everything-but-the-kitchen-sink mega mixed bowl. Like your lunch tomorrow.

1/2 cup well-shaken buttermilk
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 tablespoons minced shallot
1 tablespoon sugar
3 tablespoons finely chopped chives
1 pound Napa cabbage, cored and thinly sliced crosswise (4 cups)
6 radishes, diced
2 celery ribs, thinly sliced diagonally

Whisk together buttermilk, mayonnaise, vinegar, shallot, sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl until sugar has dissolved, then whisk in chives.

Toss cabbage, radishes, and celery with dressing.
  Re: Re: Fried Noodles w/Ham, Scallions, & Cabbage Revi by HomeCulinarian (I made this for a la...)
hmmm, may have to try this for the rest of the cabbage - I have so many cabbage recipes (we love cabbage around here) - sounds good.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Fried Noodles w/Ham, Scallions, & Cabbage Revi by HomeCulinarian (I made this for a la...)
Thanks HC, I'll be trying that salad! That dressing sounds like it would be tasty.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."