WAAAYYYYY OT South African elections
  Re: (...)
Very strange indeed! Presidential elections today but very different from the US. The ruling party--ANC--has been in power since 1994 after the Mandela election. Because there is a majority, there really is no contest for an opposition party. The candidate is named Jacob Zuma---he has been brought to the fore with corruption charges re: the arms deal here (another story), accused of rape (but acquitted---sort of like "depends on what the definition of is is"), has four wives (which one will be the FIRST lady???) and his theme song is "Where is My Machine Gun?"

Kinda scary---huh? Anyway---he is going to be our next pres--------UGH!!!! Too many political twist and turns to go in to but that is a very BRIEF sketch. The world is a changing!!

I suppose I should add a cooking connection here----they will have a HUGE braii (bbq) with goats on the spit and many South African/Zulu delicacies (don't ask!!!!)
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: WAAAYYYYY OT South African elections by Roxanne 21 (Very strange indeed!...)
Geez, I thought Illinois was bad!
  Re: Re: WAAAYYYYY OT South African elections by HomeCulinarian (Geez, I thought Illi...)
That's funny - I thought of Illinois also!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: WAAAYYYYY OT South African elections by cjs (That's funny - I tho...)
Nah, Illinois has a different theme song
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: WAAAYYYYY OT South African elections by cjs (That's funny - I tho...)
Quote:

That's funny - I thought of Illinois also!!

According to Jay Leno, Abe Lincoln bought his Senate seat from Gov. Jebadiah Blagonovich in 1856 for two mules and ten dollars.. That's ok, Texas was settled by murderers, drunks, and womanizers (Bowie, Sam Houston, Crockett, and Travis). What would we do without them?!?!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: WAAAYYYYY OT South African elections by Old Bay ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Rox, just curious...does that have any affect on your safety there?
  Re: Re: WAAAYYYYY OT South African elections by DFen911 (Rox, just curious......)
Thanks for asking, Denise. Not at all. As long as we stay out of the townships and mind our own business (no problem there), we should be okay. There has been a dramatic increase in robbery, homes burgled due to the massive unemployment. We are lucky enough to have tons of security measures in place (including my .38--- ). Pay attention at all times---the catch phrase.
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy