Hummus recipe
  Re: (...)
Does anyone have a favorite? I used to make it, but then got lazy and started picking up the premade (Tribe of Brothers, Sabara, etc.) at the grocery store. We had wonderful, homemade hummus at a ME restaurant last night and I was reminded that... well... the "bought" variety may be convenient but I want to make it again for that wonderful homemade flavor.

Now, I am certain that what I used to make had roasted garlic in it, and may not be authentic, but what we had at the restaurant definitely had more of a tahini flavor that my old recipe. So I am looking for a "new favorite" recipe to try. Anyone???
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Hummus recipe by foodfiend (Does anyone have a f...)
Ahhhh, Vicci, I too am in search of the perfect recipe. Every recipe I have tried is "ok", but I end up tossing it out after a few days. There was a time I could buy it at this small gyro shop, but they went out of business. One of the secrets to theirs was that it was so creamy. I read once that to achieve that texture, you need to mash the beans thru a sieve to eliminate the skins. I haven't tried this yet because I feel I have wasted so much time and money already and quite frankly, I am gun shy at this point. It will be interesting to see the responses here. Oddly enough, I used to like the hummus at Einstein Bagels, but now they only sell it on a bagel, not in a container.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
Here's the one I've used for a long time:

Hummus

Ingredients:
  • 1 Can Garbanzo beans (chick peas or ceci)
  • 3 Cloves Garlic, peeled
  • Water, as needed
  • 2 Tbsp Tahini (sesame-seed paste)
  • 1 Tbsp Lemon juice
  • 2 Tbsp Vinegar
  • 1/2 Tsp Ground cumin
  • Salt, to taste
  • 1 Tbsp Olive oil
  • 1 1/2 Tsp Paprika
Instructions:
  1. Rinse the garbanzo beans, removing any skins, if necessary.
  2. Mince the garlic in a blender.
  3. Add the garbanzo beans and purée, adding a little water, slowly, until easy to purée.
  4. Add the tahini, lemon juice, vinegar, cumin and salt.
  5. Continue to blend, adding a little more water, if necessary.
  6. Either serve with the olive oil and paprika on top, as a garnish, or blend in with the rest of the hummus (I prefer it blended in).
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Hummus recipe by chef_Tab (Ahhhh, Vicci, I too ...)
I've made it a few times for catering jobs - I'm not a real fan of it, so I don't know if mine is a really good one. I'll post it in the a.m. and you two 'experts' will probably be able to tell just by looking at it.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Hummus recipe by cjs (I've made it a few t...)
Removing the skins of the chickpeas?!?!? Yikes!!! But that could be why I could never get mine the same texture as the hummus in restaurants. I am looking forward to trying all options given here (even if I must spend hours skinning those darn chickpeas....)
Vicci

my cooking adventures
  Re: Re: Hummus recipe by foodfiend (Removing the [i]skin...)
Vicci, this isn't hummus, but it's a really tasty bean dip from cooking light. Warning: it's really garlicky!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Garlicky Bean Spread

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 84 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Dec '96 Sauces/Condiments/Marinades
Spreads

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 whole garlic head
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon tahini (sesame-seed paste)
2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary
OR
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
2 teaspoons hot sauce
4 (15.8-ounce) cans Great Northern beans -- drained

Preheat oven to 375º.

Remove white papery skin from garlic head (do not peel or separate the cloves). Wrap garlic head in foil. Bake at 375º for 45 minutes or until tender; let cool 10 minutes. Separate cloves; squeeze to extract garlic pulp. Discard skins.

Combine garlic pulp and remaining ingredients in a food processor; process until smooth, scraping sides of processor bowl occasionally. Serve with French bread.

Serving Size: 1 tablespoon

Source:
"Cooking Light, December 1996, p.152"
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Hummus recipe by foodfiend (Removing the [i]skin...)
Quote:

Removing the skins of the chickpeas?!?!? Yikes!!! But that could be why I could never get mine the same texture as the hummus in restaurants. I am looking forward to trying all options given here (even if I must spend hours skinning those darn chickpeas....)

Honestly, I've never noticed THAT many skins on the canned garbanzos - just a few pieces still clinging to a few of them, and those rub off of there very easily.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
Maryann, I make this same bean dip at least a few times a year! I love the rosemary and garlic (heavy garlic!) flavor in it. When I have fresh cukes and tomatoes there is nothing better than a veggie sandwich, on thick Tuscan bread, with a heavy layer of the bean dip... Now I want one.

Labs, I don't often use the canned chickpeas but will try them. I remember, when I cook the dried ones, there are skins floating around in the water but the big question is how many are still stuck to the chickpeas?!?
Vicci

my cooking adventures
  Re: Re: Hummus recipe by foodfiend (Maryann, I make this...)
HUMMUS

8 to 10 servings

This creamy, golden puree of garbanzo beans (chick-peas) is a specialty of Middle Eastern Jews and non-Jews alike. It is worth making a large batch as it keeps well in the refrigerator.

2 ½ cups dried garbanzo beans or 4 15 ½ to 19- ounce cans, well rinsed
Salt and cayenne pepper
4-6 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed (I add more because we love gaic)
½ cup lemon juice (I add less— too sharp for our taste)
½ cup tahini (sesame paste)
Olive oil and chopped fresh parsley for garnish (optional)

Rinse dried garbanzo beans very well, discarding any broken or discolored beans, Place bans in a large bowl and cover generously with cold water; soak 12 hours or overnight.

Transfer beans and their soaking water to a large stockpot and over medium heat, bring to a boil. Reduce heat and leave beans to simmer 1 ½ to 2 hours, until very tender.

Add 1 tsp salt and continue simmering for 30minutes. Drain well, reserving a small amount of beans and some of the cooking liquid.

OR OPEN THE CANNED PRODUCT--------SOOOO MUCH EASIER!!!!

Press cooked or canned beans through a food mill or strainer, adding some of the reserved liquid, to separate the beans from skins. (For a smooth hummus, skins must be separated from beans). Very few skins are left behind with the canned.

In a food processor fitted with the metal blade, process crushed garlic with a pich of salt. Add pureed beans and process until smooth. Add the lemon juice, tahini and a pinch of cayenne pepper and puree until finely blended. Hummus should be thick and smooth; add a little more cooking liquid or the canned liquor if puree is too thick and adjust the seasoning. Transfer to a bowl and serve when ready.

To serve, spread the hummus in a shallow dish or individual bowls and with the back of a spoon make a hollow in the center. Chop the reserved chick-peas coarsely and sprinkle over. (Unnecessary…IMHO). If wished, pour a little olive oil in the center of the well, garnish with chopped beans, parsley and a sprinkling of cayenne.

YUMMMMMM!!!!!!! I serve with home-made pita bead and the hummus does not last long enough to store in the fridge. I also prefer to serve at room temp---it seems to keep the creaminess better.

New Jewish Cooking by Elizabeth Wolf Cohen

I think I will make a batch for Peter's return---haven't had this for a very long time!

This recipe may sound a bit time consuming but it isn't if you used the canned beans. WELL WORTH THE EFFORT---if you like hummus!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Our favorite by Roxanne 21 (HUMMUS[br][br]8 to 1...)
Okay, I now have two hummus recipes to try! THANKS!!!
Vicci

my cooking adventures