Mandolins, not wooden ones either
  Re: (...)
I have a regular mandolin and haven't had much luck using it. Recently I purchased a Benriner Japanese Mandolin and used it for the first time tonight...it worked very well and sliced onions almost paper thin. I don't know why the regular mandolin and I don't get along, but this one is wonderful. Just thought I'd let you know. It comes with a regular slicer blade and 3 julienne type blades. I don't remember what it cost since I bought it about 6 months ago. It comes in 3 widths: the one I bought 64mm (2.52"), Super 95mm (3.74"), and Jumbo 115mm (4.53").
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Mandolins, not wooden ones either by bjcotton (I have a regular man...)
Sounds good, Billy. I can't believe you got it 6 months ago and are just now using it! When I get a new toy, it barely gets washed before I'm messing around with it.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Mandolins, not wooden ones either by Mare749 (Sounds good, Billy. ...)
Glad you like it , Billy. I have a Matfer that I really Like.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Mandolins, not wooden ones either by Lorraine (Glad you like it , B...)
Mine is a Mafter also - Love it! It has my initials on it in fingernail polish so I much have taken it to Windsor, CO for a dinner.

Maryann, I still have not opened the box with the pan cake puff stuff in it - how long ago did we all talk about those????? Gotta get my rear in gear.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Mandolins, not wooden ones either by cjs (Mine is a Mafter als...)
Jean, we used yours for the sweet potato chips.
  Re: Re: Mandolins, not wooden ones either by Lorraine (Jean, we used yours ...)
Quote:

Jean, we used yours for the sweet potato chips.

Did you bake or fry these? I did them once, but can't remember how.

My mandoline is a Hoffritz. It's rather nice because it has a bowl, but does take up a lot of space in the cabinet.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Mandolins, not wooden ones either by Mare749 ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
She deep fried them, then sprinkled them with Chef Kelly's seasoning mixture.
  Re: Re: Mandolins, not wooden ones either by Lorraine (She deep fried them,...)
Oh that's right - oh my those were good little devils.

Chef Kelly's seasoning is -
Kelly's spice for chips - 40-40-20 (Kosher, madras curry powder, sugar)

It's delicious.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Mandolins, not wooden ones either by cjs (Oh that's right - oh...)
Ours is a Mafter. I love my Forschner glove just as much!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Mandolins, not wooden ones either by Old Bay (Ours is a Mafter. I...)
Everytime I use mine, I think about buying one of those and never do...
www.achefsjourney.com