Why does my kitchen smell so good????
  Re: (...)
Yesterday I made the beef sticks - OMG! They are soooo good. I put the anise seed in - gave it a great punch.

Also had to slice our last hunk of bacon from the first try. Maple Black Pepper - smoked over apple and hickory! [Image: 3449790203_2fb182e9a8.jpg]

I don't think there's much point in buying bacon any more. I've got two huge slabs curing now - another Maple Black Pepper and a Honey Jalapeno. They'll come out of the cure Sunday and probably go in the smoker Tuesday or Wednesday - depending on how long it takes to get a pellicle.

Got to take a turkey breast out of the brine today and make the Turkey and Dried Cherry sausage.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Why does my kitchen smell so good???? by Harborwitch (Yesterday I made the...)
OMG, Sharon, that all sounds so good! One of these days I'm going to have to try some of these wonderful smoker recipes. Maybe this summer. So to cure, do you just put the meat and flavorings in a bag, or what? And what kind of meat do you buy? I have NO experience with this kind of thing, but it sounds yummy!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Why does my kitchen smell so good???? by Gourmet_Mom (OMG, Sharon, that al...)
The cure is from Charcuterie (Rhulman & Polcyn) pink salt, etc. You rub it all over the pork bellies and I put them in pyrex baking dishes covered with saran.

If you have a good Asian store or Mexican grocery pork bellies are easy to get. Even a good butcher should be able to get them. You can also do back bacon too.

Bob and I were looking at the marbling in our brisket the other day and thinking; hmmmmmmmm, beef bacon????? Yum.
  Re: Re: Why does my kitchen smell so good???? by Harborwitch (The cure is from Cha...)
Oh, okay, I get it, but can't do it any time soon. I haven't been able to find pork belies yet, but have not taken time to go to my little butcher. I'll be checking in on him soon so I'll know which way to go come summer. The Asian market I visit only has fresh veggies, frozen stuff, and non-perishable items, so they're out, but there are a number of Mexican markets popping up locally. I'll check in with them as well. Thanks for the tips.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Why does my kitchen smell so good???? by Gourmet_Mom (Oh, okay, I get it, ...)
Everything sounds so scrumptious, Sharon!! I have a pork belly in the freezer waiting to be played with...decisions, decisions.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Why does my kitchen smell so good???? by Gourmet_Mom (Oh, okay, I get it, ...)
Sharon, do you brine and them cold smoke your bacon?
Shannon
  Re: Why does my kitchen smell so good???? by Harborwitch (Yesterday I made the...)
wow.. from the last thread i was stupid to change beef stick to beef stake.. i ddnt know there's beef stick.. teach us how to cook it please. how do you do it... can you also take a pic of this beef stick. hhehe
  Re: Re: Why does my kitchen smell so good???? by Dismc (Sharon, do you brine...)
The bacon is in a cure - pink salt, maple syrup, salt, sugar, and black pepper for one - honey , pink salt, salt, sugar, and jalapeno powder for the other one.

We smoke the bacon at about 200 until the temp reaches 150 F inside the bacon. Ohh, I see no reason to buy bacon ever again.

Now we are going to figure out how to build a hanging box that we can use for hanging stuff - Have to control temp and humidity. We have a whole list of stuff we want to make.