Milk Braised Pork Loin
  Re: (...)
This is what I'm fixing for supper tonight. Sounds soooo good, and serve it with rice, green beans (only because the asparagus isn't up yet) and corn-on-the-cob.

Milk Braised Pork Loin

4 pounds pork loin, bone in or boneless
1 tablespoon coarse salt
1/2 teaspoon white ground pepper
3 cups whole milk or as needed
2 cloves garlic, mashed or left whole
1 medium onion, thinly sliced (optional)
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons water

Preheat oven to 375°F. Season the roast with salt and pepper. Place the meat into pot or pan. Pour in just enough milk to come ¾ up the side of the meat. Mash a clove of garlic and toss it into the milk. If using onion, fry in 1 Tbls. butter until golden. Place ½ of onion over the top of the roast. Place the pan in the preheated oven and cook until the internal temperature reaches 150°F, about 2 hours but check after 1 ½ hours. Turn meat periodically as it browns. The milk will form a skin and balloon around the meat and take on a golden color. When the roast is done, the milk will have evaporated by about 1/3-1/2 the volume. Transfer the roast to a cutting board, cover and let stand while making sauce. Ladle about 2 cups of the flavored milk into a small saucepan over medium-low heat; mix cornstarch and water to form a slurry; add slurry slowly while stirring. Add the remaining onions, garlic and butter. Simmer and continue stirring until milk is consistency of heavy cream. Strain, if you wish. Slice pork and lay slices on serving platter. Ladle sauce over pork. Serve with rice or roasted potatoes.

Adapted from: “portuguesecooking.com”.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Milk Braised Pork Loin by bjcotton (This is what I'm fix...)
Sounds pretty good Billy...copied and saved and awaiting your review to go with it. Have nearly 1/2 a hog in the freezer awaiting our return from Vegas so this is a viable option. Let us know how it turned out.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Milk Braised Pork Loin by firechef (Sounds pretty good B...)
It was quite tasty LJ. I used 2 cloves of garlic in the gravy and another one sautéed with the onion. The gravy was delish...I think next time I will brine the loin since this one was a little on the dry side. I'd give it about an 8.0 taste wise, except for the dryness.

Billy
  Re: Re: Milk Braised Pork Loin by bjcotton (It was quite tasty L...)
The recipe really does sound good and I wonder if done in a slow cooker, the dryness issue would be solved. What do you think, Billy?
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Milk Braised Pork Loin by bjcotton (It was quite tasty L...)
sounds good Billy - I used to do a thick ham slice this way, with an onion stuck with whole cloves, for breakfast. Thicken up the gravy and it was delicious.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Milk Braised Pork Loin by cjs (sounds good Billy - ...)
Even in a slow cooker (if you don't brine it) pork loin will be dry. I make it that way often enough because Paul likes it that way, served over rice. He likes the dryness. If there's even a little pinkness he doesn't want to eat it...must be a holdover from the old days.

Billy
  Re: Re: Milk Braised Pork Loin by bjcotton (Even in a slow cooke...)
My neighbour, who likes to grill a lot, sometimes gets a five-pound pork loin from the butcher and just grills it as is, and it is NEVER dry. but always perfect.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?