Denise's Mystery Bag Dinner Review
  Re: (...)
Thanks Denise, this was a lot of fun - Roy says thank you too and he gave it a 9+!

We started out with Cheese Straws that I made for Saturday's wine/cheese festival and a great bottle of wine - that was half gone by dinner..

The weather was beautiful so I completely scrapped the idea of a roasted pork dish with a hot papaya sauce and went for the grilled goodies instead.

Grilled Brined Pork with Papaya-Cucumber Salsa & Grilled New Potatoes
[Image: PorkwPapayacucsalsa.jpg]

The Salsa was delicious -
1 papaya, peeled, seeded & chopped
1 poblano, roasted, seeded & chopped
~1/3 of a large red onion, chopped
2 T. lime juice
1 T. cilantro, chopped
1/2 tsp. sugar

Mix all and let set a couple hours. I'll do this again.

and dessert was Rhubarb Bars
[Image: rhubarbbars.jpg]
Not real impressed with this - it was a recipe I found somewhere. There was way too much crust and I hesitated adding orange zest to it, but I went with the recipe and wish I hadn't - orange came thru more than the rhubarb,so that recipe is in the trash.

This was fun and I hope someone else surprises us with a list of goodies to do this again.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Denise's Mystery Bag Dinner Review by cjs (Thanks Denise, this ...)
Very nice meal, Jean. I'll be doing mine tomorrow. Ron and the girls are going to a basketball game tonight (Go Cavs!)so can't do it tonight. Have my ideas tho!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Denise's Mystery Bag Dinner Review by Mare749 (Very nice meal, Jean...)
That looks fantastic!!! I am so using your salsa recipe. Aren't grilled potatoes just the best. I end up eating a serving long before they make it back into the house. Haha
  Re: Re: Denise's Mystery Bag Dinner Review by DFen911 (That looks fantastic...)
Doing ours tonight. Last night we were still stuffed from lunch, and after breaking down the turkey and cleaning up the kitchen I was too tired to cook.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Denise's Mystery Bag Dinner Review by Harborwitch (Doing ours tonight. ...)
I should be doing mine tomorrow as well. I need to make a trip to town and hope they have the papaya. I KNOW I won't be using the rhubarb, unless they got some in stock since I was there the other day.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Denise's Mystery Bag Dinner Review by Gourmet_Mom (I should be doing mi...)
I got my supplies today. Be prepared for the price of rhubarb, Daphne. Mine was $4.99 lb. Is it that hard to grow???
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Denise's Mystery Bag Dinner Review by Mare749 (I got my supplies to...)
"Is it that hard to grow??? " NO! and it's like horseradish, just keeps multiplying and we have to separate plants.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Denise's Mystery Bag Dinner Review by cjs ("Is it that hard to ...)
Yup, we planted rhubarb two weekends ago. Next . . . raspberries! The rhubarb isn't quite ready around here yet, maybe another week. MMMM strawberry/rhubarb pie.
  Re: Re: Denise's Mystery Bag Dinner Review by iBcookin (Yup, we planted rhub...)
Linda, last summer I tried rhubarb and raspberry pie and we liked it better than the rhubarb/strawberry. Great flavor.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Denise's Mystery Bag Dinner Review by cjs (Linda, last summer I...)
DENISE!! Where's your Mystery Bag creation?????????
www.achefsjourney.com