Looking for a beef stick recipe
  Re: (...)
Does anyone have a recipe for beef sticks? I ran out of seasoning packets from Nesco and was hoping to come up with a similar mix. These are the kind that are dried in the dehydrator.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Looking for a beef stick recipe by Mare749 (Does anyone have a r...)
And that recipe would be......??????
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Looking for a beef stick recipe by Gourmet_Mom (And that recipe woul...)
Sorry, never even tried to make beef sticks!
  Re: Re: Looking for a beef stick recipe by Gourmet_Mom (And that recipe woul...)
Well, that's what I'm trying to find out, Daphne. Does anyone have a seasoning mix recipe for beef sticks? These are the kind you see in butcher shops that are sort of like jerky, but are actually a dried sausage for snacking.

The seasoning packets from Nesco have one package of cure and one pack of seasoning per pound of ground beef. You mix them all together, then put the meat into what looks like a small cookie press that forms little sausages. These go into the food dehydrator for 5 hours or so. I'm guessing that the seasoning mix has salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, smoke flavoring and maybe a touch of sugar, but have no idea what amounts to use for each pound of meat. I do know that I need 1 T. of cure, as that is on the package from Morton's Quick Cure.

If I had some idea how much seasoning to use, then I wouldn't have to order the seasoning from Nesco and could just mix my own.
Maryann

Re: Re: Looking for a beef stick recipe by Mare749 (Well, that's what I'...)
Maryann, I know you can google as well as I, but this got me interested so I did that. From all I looked at, this one sounded very good - think I may have to try this and it does have the ingredients you mentioned (or most).

How to make Beef Sticks
First we need some ingredients.
USE ONLY EXTRA EXTRA LEAN GROUND BEEF. I USE 96% LEAN BEEF

This will make a ten pound batch. It will be broken down at the end of the page for a two pound batch.

5 TBSP Tender Quick
1 TBSP Mace
4 TBSP Paprika
6 TBSP Ground Mustard
1 tsp. Celery seed - ground
1 tsp. Garlic powder
1 tsp. Black pepper
1 tsp. White pepper
2 TBSP Dextrose - I found mine in a Health Food store
2 tsp. red pepper

If you want to make this a Pepperoni Stick, add 2 tsp. Ansie

To make a 2 pound batch, take the above recipe and take 5 TBSP minus 1/8 tsp. and mix with two pounds of lean ground hamburger. That would be, mix everything to make a ten pound batch and take 5 TBSP minus 1/8 tsp. and add this to two pounds of hamburger.

Instructions: 1. Desolve Tender Quick in a little water, add to meat and mix well

2. Blend remaining ingredients and add to meat mixture and mix well.
3. Form in 1/2 inch diameter rolls. Dehydrate on high for 5 hours.

* I mix ALL the dry ingredients together and skip step 1 I also mix (blend) all the dry ingredients in a food processor. I also use a food processor to mix the meat (hamburger) and the seasoning together.

* If you use your oven, set temp. to 155 degrees and keep the door cracked open for air flow.
I also use a Jerky gun with the large round tip and shoot the meat on the trays.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Looking for a beef stick recipe by cjs (Maryann, I know you ...)
Jean, you really are amazing. Do you know how many times I have googled this? I've spent hours upon hours looking for a recipe that sounded right. Thank you so much!
Maryann

Quote:

I also use a Jerky gun...

Wouldn't it be more effective if you were a little more steady?
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
Well now I know what I'm going to have to do this weekend! Thanks for posting this Jean.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Looking for a beef stick recipe by Harborwitch (Well now I know what...)
They are really tasty, Sharon. When I make these for Ron, I usually use the venison we have in the freezer which is very lean. Sometimes I do make them with beef though, and when they are done drying, I always squeeze them in paper towels to get rid of the excess grease that is on the surface.

Although they are considered "shelf stable" for two weeks, I always store mine in the frig anyway, and just take out a few at a time to pack in Ron's lunch.
Maryann

Re: Re: Looking for a beef stick recipe by Mare749 (They are really tast...)
Oh my, this does sound good! I love those things! Never thought of making them though.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.