Can you recommend a carrot recipe
  Re: (...)
that does not involve any kind of vinegar? I'm having a combination birthday get together/early Easter dinner the day before Easter for some of my family. My sister has requested a recipe I have for balsamic glazed carrots but the smell of vinegar really throws my son into a tizzy - and it's his birthday so no tizzies that day!

Other things on the menu so far are honey baked ham, scalloped potatoes (recipe TBD), four-berry fruit salad, baby greens salad, assorted breads.

Thanks in advance.
  Re: Can you recommend a carrot recipe by Trixxee (that does not involv...)
I got this recipe from my mom - Carrots Lyonnaise. I start off with baby carrots and cut them into quarters, or if you can find petite carrots, just halve them.

1 lb carrots
1 chickie bullion cube (or packet)
1/2 cup water
2-3 medium onions sliced
1/4 cup butter
1 TBS flour
salt and pepper to taste

Disolve bullion in 1/2 cup boiling water. Add carrots and cook for 5 minutes, set aside. In a saute pan, melt the butter and add the onion. Cook covered for 10-15 minutes, but don't brown them. Add the flour and seasonings to taste to the onions, then add the carrots.

If it's too thick, just add more water, a little at a time.

EDIT TO ADD: the carrots really don't have to be matchstick size, you can make them whatever size you want, you'll just have to adjust the cooking time before you add them to the onions.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Can you recommend a carrot recipe by BarbaraS (I got this recipe fr...)
My favorite carrot recipe is ridiculously simple. I cut carrots into coins and put into a sauce pan with water not quite covering. Add a few pats of butter and cook over a low simmer until the water is evaporated. You end up with buttery flavored carrots. I could eat the whole pot full myself.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Can you recommend a carrot recipe by chef_Tab (My favorite carrot r...)
Quote:

My favorite carrot recipe is ridiculously simple. I cut carrots into coins and put into a sauce pan with water not quite covering. Add a few pats of butter and cook over a low simmer until the water is evaporated. You end up with buttery flavored carrots. I could eat the whole pot full myself.

Oooooo, I see a little honey going into that one...

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Can you recommend a carrot recipe by BarbaraS ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Well that sounds easy enough - no reason to get super fancy I suppose. I could toss them with a few chives too.

Thanks!
  Re: Re: Can you recommend a carrot recipe by BarbaraS ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I do the same thing, but add sliced leeks and finish with honey and fresh mint leaves. It's Jennifer's favorite way for me to fix carrots and it's so fresh and Spring-like.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Can you recommend a carrot recipe by Harborwitch (I do the same thing,...)
Glazed them with honey and Dijon mustard, or try the following:

Crema de Zanahoria (Cream of Carrot Soup)

Ingredients:
  • 1 Lb. Carrots, peeled and chopped into even chunks
  • 2 tsp Chicken broth (or more, for puréeing the carrots
  • 3 tbsp Butter
  • 1/2 Onion, cut into segments
  • 1 Chile Poblano, cut into strips
  • 1 Cup Heavy cream
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
  • Garnish with watercress and serve with saltine crackers.
Personal Note:
I also suggest one or both of the following:
  • Thyme to taste
  • Tabasco (or other hot sauce) to taste
Instructions:
  1. Boil the carrots until soft.
  2. Purée the carrots in a blender, along with the chicken broth. Use more broth to make a thinner soup, less for thicker.
  3. In a small pot, melt the butter, then sauté the chile and onions until the onions are translucent.
  4. Stir in the puréed carrots.
  5. Allow to cook for a bit, then add the cream (and the thyme and or Tabasco, if desired) cook a little more, then adjust the seasoning.
  6. Garnish with watercress leaves and serve with saltine crackers. (Interestingly, the recipe actually says, "Serve with crackers browned in butter.")
(Source: Translated from Clasificados del Caribe - a small, local, classified-ad paper left on the doorstep once a week.)

Not sure where THEY got the recipe (maybe they translated it from some English source - wouldn't that be funny!), but watercress is not that common around here. I just used a little chopped cilantro, instead.

All in all, it was very easy and very tasty. In fact, I think I'll make another batch soon. It's been a while.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Can you recommend a carrot recipe by chef_Tab (My favorite carrot r...)
I do the coins in a little salted water also. When it is almost dry, I add a little maple syrup and a little dijon. Cook to a nice glazed state. Pretty tasty.
Shannon
  Re: Re: Can you recommend a carrot recipe by Dismc (I do the coins in a ...)
I used to do a carrot latke, pancake. Just shred them up, put in a little flour and egg to hold them together, salt and pepper to taste and fry them up. Very tasty.
  Re: Re: Can you recommend a carrot recipe by lxxf (I used to do a carro...)
Yup, salt, pepper, little butter and maple syrup. I usually cheat and use the packets of baby carrots.