Meyer Lemon Trees
  Re: (...)
Hey All,

I get the Springhill Nursery catalog and live in the hardiness zone of "6". They have Meyer lemon trees for sale and I'm thinking about buying one. I would bring it in during the winter just like all my other plants.

For those of you with Meyer Lemon trees, I have some questions.

How long did it take before your tree produced fruit?

What's your climate like and what are your temp ranges like?

Is it better planted in the ground or in a pot?

How big does it get?

A long time ago I bought their banana plant and it hasn't gotten very big and I certainly have not gotten any bananas from it. Springhill is always a little suspect with me when it comes to their plants.

Would I be better off trying to find it at a nursery?

TIA,

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Meyer Lemon Trees by BarbaraS (Hey All,[br][br]I ge...)
We've gotten all of our citrus trees from Home Depot, Lowes, local nurseries, a local farmers' market, and Costco. They've all been dwarf trees so they'll stay bush like and we could keep them in pots if we wanted. Buying from a local nursery or source means that you'll have someone who knows what's what about the trees you buy. I don't know about your area - I know we get frost and freezes here, but nothing like you guys. Hopefully someone will have your answers.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Meyer Lemon Trees by BarbaraS (Hey All,[br][br]I ge...)
I planted a Meyer lemon in the ground, two years ago--it has grown, and this year I have 12 blossoms!!! We had a "hard freeze" for us--low 20's this December and I covered it. It survived and is really putting out new growth!!! Maybe lemons this year!! It handles 90's and humidity well--just keep it watered. In Pa. you might want to grow in a pot and bring inside in the winter.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Meyer Lemon Trees by Old Bay (I planted a Meyer le...)
Thanks for the replies!!

I'm thinking about going to Lowe's this weekend and pick one up. I'll pot it and bring it in for the winter, just like my other plants.

I would also love a blueberry bush. Anyone have any success with those?

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Meyer Lemon Trees by BarbaraS (Thanks for the repli...)
My Mom had 5 blueberry bushes and they provided enough blueberries for her to freeze and use almost all winter. Bob and I got one - it did not like the heat and wind on the Island and gave it up during the heat storm that killed a lot of my plants. I think, you have to have more than one - could be wrong.
  Re: Re: Meyer Lemon Trees by Harborwitch (My Mom had 5 blueber...)
Barbara, we had lemon trees in Northern California for a number of years - we kept them in containers on the deck and in the winter (we had snow a lot) we just pushed them up against the house and they wintered over well. I think after about the third year we had lots of lemons but on alternative years, it seems. don't know why.

We brought them up here to Washington with us (a lemon, lime and one mandarin orange) and they did well until just this winter, we lost them all. But this was such an unusual winter.

I'm sure going to miss my lemons especially. Good luck with yours. And I agree with Sharon, I'd buy them locally if you can.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Meyer Lemon Trees by Harborwitch (My Mom had 5 blueber...)
Blueberries do really well here in the NW. They do better with more sun - but not sure about really hot all day sun. I have some that are not doing well - they don't get enough sun and not the right soil.

They want acid soil. Most need cross fertilization so you want at least two varieties. Also, the blooms are not big and not really attractive to bees, so you need to put the two varieties right next to each other so you get the cross pollinization. I have heard that they do not like to dry out. So keeping evenly moist, but not wet (but not totally sure on that one, could be another problem) they have shallow roots so don't want competition for water, something planted nearby. If you can get all those things figured out - I think they are pretty easy to grow and resiliant. The sun and mostly the soil is key.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Blueberries by esgunn (Blueberries do reall...)
Mom was just down the road from you in Auburn. Hers were under a huge tree facing south (you could pick blueberries and see Mt.Rainier). We've got similar conditions here in our back yard so maybe we'll try them again.

There are blueberry "farms" shooting up all over the place on the delta - I guess they like that peat soil?
  Re: Re: Blueberries by Harborwitch (Mom was just down th...)
Well, I don't know much about GROWING blueberries, but I do know we have dozens of blueberry farms in my area. As a matter of fact, two neighboring counties are fighting at the capital to have their festivals named the Official Blueberry Festival of NC. It gets very hot here, but I will agree with the acidic soil. The areas that have the most farms are in areas where bogs are present and the soil if VERY sandy. And Erin, thanks for the info about the cross pollinization. YS snagged a bush from a guy he was doing yard work for, but only got one. No wonder the thing didn't do very well last year.

It's about time for the festivals to begin. This weekend is the Azalea Festival and the Strawberry Festival is not too far behind. Then there's the Blueberry Festival followed by the Watermelon Festival. I live in a produce rich area...can you tell...LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Blueberries by Gourmet_Mom (Well, I don't know m...)
Daphne,

You want to talk about blueberries, South Jersey has ACRES, Baby!! Hammonton, NJ. Can't spit 5 feet and not hit a blueberry farm!

Barbara