Old Bay's B'day Dinner Review
  Re: (...)
So, where is the old(er) Sage???????? Shall we wait for him?

O.K., I waited 15 minutes... (signed axious??)

Oh my, what a Saturday Brunch we had!!

Bill’s Baltimore Crab Fluffs
Fried Razor Clam Strips
Oven Baked French Fries with Caviar sauce
Champagne….two bottles in fact

[Image: CrabFluffsClamsFries.jpg]

The Crab Fluffs were very tasty, but I think I would make my favorite crab cake (like Aunt Mary’s from Tom Douglas’ crab cake book) and use the wonderful batter that was called for. Overall 2 of us gave an 8, one gave a 7 – with the general consensus being higher score with a little Tabasco. Good choice Bill!!

I can’t get to the Chicken until later and I probably won’t make the carrot cake – especially after this weekends pig out!!

--------

The Caviar Fries were very good – I saw them made somewhere and here’s the recipe if anyone is interested –

Caviar Fries
Mix together:
1/2 of a 7.5 container crème Fraiche
1 T. chives
1 tsp. lemon zest
2 oz. of the best caviar you can afford.

Parboil potato wedges (potatoes cut into 8 nice wedges) in stock (or water) for 1 minute (I wouldn’t do this again, I’d go raw potatoes into the oven).

Oven to 400F. After boiling potato wedges for 1 min.; drain and toss with just a little salt (the caviar will be salty also) Bake wedges until crisp tender and nicely browned – turning often.

While fries are baking, gently mix caviar into crème Fraiche and put in small serving bowl. Top with hopped chives and serve on the side with the fries.

Leftover sauce will be good with baked potatoes.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Old Bay's B'day Dinner Review by cjs (So, where is the old...)
We gave the chicken with Greek salsa a 9. Terrific and easy. We used the leftover chicken and salsa over tomato/basil linguine with some olive oil for lunch two days later---really good! Will do again--often.

We thought the crab puffs were good but we like our crabcakes better. Jean yours look just like ours--we had them with fish and chips and Belgian fries to really use the oil (fry grandaddy). Rate the puffs a 7. Daphne, that carrot cake looks awesome--we may try it after all! All in all I did ok!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
Wow, I'm second...gee, that's odd! Here goes!

I knew the other weekend that I should have made the crab puffs with my leftover crab, but the hot crab dip was just toooo tempting! Then I didn't get a chance again. But I will make them with Jean's suggestions.

I tried to make the rolls, but they didn't rise properly. I don't know if my milk mixture was too hot or wdiferenthat. I had every intention of making them anyway, but life got in the way. I don't like to waste dough...this was a first.

The Greek Salsa Chicken was very good. William and the boys gave it a 7, but I would be tempted to go up to an 8, if for no other reason than the ease of the dish. It will be a great weeknight dinner. I will probably cook the chicken a little differently next time and use boneless, but other than that it was pretty tasty.

The cake....WOW! I am really happy with my Carrot cake recipe (thanks Jean), but I figured, why not try another one. I didn't have the chai spice, so used the suggested substitutions. This was a really moist cake, but the "icing on the cake" was the pistachio nuts! YUM!!! I will probably make this again, but it won't replace my favorite. As a matter of fact, I'd love to do a side by side comparison, so I could see how similar or different they really are. I had meant to check the ingredients before I did my review. Oh well!

Anyway,I didn't get a picture of the chicken, since I came home late yesterday from a funeral and the natives were hungry. But it was a pretty dish. I did the roasted potatoes and a salad like a lot of the others indicated they had done. I did, however, get a picture of the cake...don't laugh...my kitchen is sinking on one end and I believe it is affecting my oven. Therefore, my cake is quite lopsided. Hopefully, you won't be able to tell too much from the picture.

[Image: DSC00491.jpg]
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Old Bay's B'day Dinner Review by Old Bay (We gave the chicken ...)
I passed on the carrot cake (sadly because it is my favorite) and the crab puffs. But I made the chicken with Greek Salsa and we also rated it as excellent! We will make that again.

Wondering.... Did anyone bake the cake?

I see Daphne did and was posting at the same time... Nice presentation!
  Re: Re: Old Bay's B'day Dinner Review by HomeCulinarian (I passed on the carr...)
Wow, Jean and Daphne, those pictures look too good. Why do I insist on looking at this stuff before dinner???? I want to lick my screen. Hubby is already close to having me committed. In fact, if he could cook at all he might have done it years ago. I haven't made the chicken yet, but I will since that Greek salsa thing is a weakness of mine.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Old Bay's B'day Dinner Review by chef_Tab (Wow, Jean and Daphne...)
Bill, we must have been posting at the same time. I agree, the chicken is a new standby. William went back and ate more of the salsa. I'm glad I doubled it...LOL! I think the only reason he gave it a 7 is because it was "chicken again?"!

I agree, I think you chose well, also.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
Oh, darn, missed another one

Looks good, though!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Old Bay's B'day Dinner Review by pjcooks (Oh, damn, missed ano...)
Oops, I forgot...Thanks for the reviews, I'll be making this for sure now.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Old Bay's B'day Dinner Review by Mare749 (Oops, I forgot...Tha...)
I will get to the chicken - sounds too good to miss.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Old Bay's B'day Dinner Review by cjs (I will get to the ch...)
What a good looking cake, Daphne!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."