Our dinner Sunday 3/29...
  Re: (...)
Mind you after a busy day at work I am not normally too keen on "experimenting" with an untried recipe and risking frustration and dejection but this dish just HAD to be made. I saw it on BBC America's showing of Chef Gordon Ramsay's The F Word show and had it saved and even printed a copy before the show was done!

Well it was wonderful!!! For everyone's enjoyment here it is...

Gordon Ramsay recipe:
Stuffed, bacon-wrapped chicken legs on risotto recipe
The F Word

Gordon Ramsay and his brigade of amateur chefs served this recipe as a main course to diners in the F Word restaurant.

Serves 6
Ingredients
Chicken

* 6 boned-out chicken legs or thighs
* sea salt and pepper
* approximately 24 rashers, rindless streaky bacon
* 3 tbsp olive oil
* 1 tbsp sherry vinegar
* 2 tbsp Marsala
* ladleful of brown chicken stock***(I used a 2oz ladle)

Stuffing

* 350g good-quality pork sausage meat
* handful of skinned pistachio nuts, roughly chopped
* 1 egg yolk
* 4 thyme sprigs, leaves stripped and chopped
* handful flat parsley, chopped

Risotto

* 400g risotto rice (such as arborio or carnaroli)
* 1 litre brown chicken (or vegetable) stock
* 150g shelled broad beans
* 150g peas (or petits pois), thawed if frozen
* 50g freshly grated Parmesan, plus extra shavings to serve
* 25g butter, cut into cubes
* handful fresh chives(optional), chopped
* sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

Method: How to make stuffed chicken on broad bean risotto

1. To make the stuffing, mix the sausage meat with the pistachio nuts, egg yolk, thyme and parsley. Season well with salt and pepper.

2. Open out the chicken legs or thighs, season with pepper and divide the stuffing between them. Roll up to enclose. Lay about four bacon rashers on a board, overlapping them slightly. Put one stuffed chicken portion on top and wrap the bacon around to cover completely. Repeat with the rest of the chicken.

3. Cut six very large pieces of foil. Wrap each chicken parcel tightly in foil, twisting the ends to seal. Roll back and forth to even the shape. Poach the chicken parcels, two or three at a time, in a large pan of boiling water for 25-30 minutes, until the chicken is cooked. Allow to cool in the foil, then refrigerate for 30 minutes (this helps the bacon to ‘set’ around the chicken). Remove the foil and pat dry to remove any excess moisture.

4. To make the risotto, wash the rice in cold water and strain off. Put into a pan with 500ml of chicken stock, 500ml water and a generous pinch of salt. Bring the liquid to a simmer and blanch the rice for 7 minutes. Drain well and spread out on a lightly oiled tray to cool down.

5. Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan and carefully sauté the chicken parcels until the bacon is brown and crisp on all sides. Transfer to a warm platter and rest in a warm place.

6. Deglaze the pan with the sherry vinegar, then add the Marsala and stock. Let bubble to reduce by half, then skim off excess fat and check the seasoning.

7. To finish the risotto, place the blanched rice in a shallow pan and pour in just enough chicken stock to cover. Bring to the boil quickly and cook until nearly all of the stock has evaporated. Taste the risotto to see if is al dente, adding a little more stock if it needs a bit more cooking. Add the broad beans, peas, Parmesan and a few knobs of butter. Cook for a further few minutes until the beans are tender. Season to taste. Finally add the fresh chives if desired.

8. Cut the chicken into thick slices and arrange over the risotto. Pour over the Marsala mix and serve immediately.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Our dinner Sunday 3/29... by firechef (Mind you after a bus...)
sounds tasty!!

We grilled up those meaty, meaty beef ribs (the ones I smoked day before yesterday) slathered with spicey BBQ sauce, grilled pineapple & asparagus. Side was a little Pecan pesto pasta. Everything so good and so summerish!!! It was gorgeous yesterday - suppposed to rain for the next four ******* days!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Our dinner Sunday 3/29... by cjs (sounds tasty!![br][b...)
Jean, stop sending all of the rain (and snow) east! Push it back out over the Pacific!!!
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Our dinner Sunday 3/29... by firechef (Jean, stop sending a...)
God knows we're trying!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Our dinner Sunday 3/29... by cjs (God knows we're tryi...)
We'd had such a lovely day Saturday, we got out our deck furniture (we must've been temp. insane) and stayed outside with our little chiminea having it's maiden voyage.
We BBQ'd and had drinks on the deck.
Now, the deck and all the furniture including the little chiminea are COVERED in snow. I don't know why I'm so grieved, there's frost til end of May regularly. But that nice day Saturday was such a tease
Anyway, consoled ourselves with big bowls of Lasagna Soup and wine.
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Our dinner Sunday 3/29... by farnfam (We'd had such a love...)
Quote:

Does that mean big bowls of Lasagna Soup AND big bowls of wine?
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Our dinner Sunday 3/29... by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Quote:

[blockquote]Quote:

Does that mean big bowls of Lasagna Soup AND big bowls of wine?

[/blockquote]
LOL What a cheery thought!!!
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Our dinner Sunday 3/29... by farnfam ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Oh, I so miss our little chiminea. They are such wonderful little things! I wish I could zap you guys down here. Spring has sprung, and it is beautiful. If you guys promise not to throw snowballs at me, I'll try to take some picks this weekend!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Our dinner Sunday 3/29... by Gourmet_Mom (Oh, I so miss our li...)
OT Everythings blooming here. I really miss a back yard to sit in. Sitting on the back step makes me look like a homeless waif.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.