Smoked Kielbasa

4 feet medium hog casing
3 pounds pork butt with fat
2 pounds beef chuck -- trimmed
1/4 cup nonfat dry milk
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon kosher or coarse salt
1 tablespoon sweet paprika
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons freshly ground white pepper (medium grind)
1/2 teaspoon ground celery seed
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 \teaspoon dried marjoram
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon ascorbic acid
Curing salt (use supplier's recommended quantity for 5 pounds of meat) (1 ½ oz.)
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1/2 cup ice water

1. Prepare the casing (see page 28).

2 Cut the pork and beef into I-inch cubes. Freeze the cubes for about 30 minutes to firm them up before grinding.

3. Grind the pork through the coarse disk of a me at grinder. Grind the beef through the fine disk.

4. Mix the meats together in a large bowl. Add the dry milk, salt, paprika, sugar, pepper, celery seed, coriander, marjoram, nutmeg, thyme, ascorbic acid, curing salt, garlic, and water. Mix well, using your hands.

5. Stuff the mixture into the prepared casing, prick air pockets, and twist off into 8- to lO-inch links. Tie off each link with butcher's twine. Do not separate the links. Cure, covered, in the refrigerator for 24 hours.

6. Smoke at 180 to 190°F (83° to 88°C) for 2 hours, or until the internal temperature is 160°F (71 0C).

7. Place the links in a large bowl of cool water for 30 minutes, then dry thoroughly and store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
Makes 5 pounds

A smoked version of kielbasa (see our recipe for fresh on page 113) is closer to what you will find in the grocer's meat case. It goes well with bock beer and rye bread, with some good brown mustard.

Description:
"from Don's Book - Home Sausage Making by Susan Mahnke Peery - first made weekend of 3/28/09"
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Smoked Kielbasa by cjs (Oh this is yummy!!![...)
Wait I can't turn to page 28 to prepare the hog casing. Darn you Jean you're gonna make me go this book aren't you?
  Re: Smoked Kielbasa by cjs (Oh this is yummy!!![...)
That looks really good. We're smoking chorizo today - and tomorrow is the bacon. Yum!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Smoked Kielbasa by Harborwitch (That looks really go...)
Jean, I need to know how to "prepare" the hog casings too.
Thanks!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Smoked Kielbasa by Mare749 (Jean, I need to know...)
All it is is soaking in cool water to rinse the salt from the outside. Then hold the casing under the nozzle of the faucet and run water through it, gently straightening out the whole length of it. and you are ready to go!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Smoked Kielbasa by cjs (All it is is soaking...)
Ah ok Now to find casings. I'm sure my butcher can order it so that just leaves the sausage stuffer and meat grinder.
  Re: Re: Smoked Kielbasa by DFen911 (Ah ok [img]/ubbthrea...)
Quote:

Ah ok Now to find casings. I'm sure my butcher can order it so that just leaves the sausage stuffer and meat grinder.

KA has attachments for grinding and stuffing.... I don't have it, but son does.
  Re: Re: Smoked Kielbasa by HomeCulinarian ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Doh! I never thought about that! thanks HC!
  Re: Re: Smoked Kielbasa by DFen911 (Doh! I never thought...)
Thanks Jean. I'm going to gather my ingredients this week.
I'll let you know when we make it.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."