Black Mission Fig Tart - for Sharon
  Re: (...)
I figured some of you would also like a fig tart, so I'll post the recipe here. I, personally, don't care for figs, even Knewtons

* Exported from MasterCook *

Black Mission Fig Tart

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 10 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Cakes-Pies-Cookies-Tarts

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 pound dried black Mission figs
2 750ml bottles light or medium-bodied dry red wine (such as Pinot Noir)
1 cup sugar (plus 3 Tbs) -- divided
3/4 teaspoon salt -- divided
5 whole black peppercorns
1 stick cinnamon
3 whole allspice
2 whole cloves
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups flour, plus more for rolling
3/4 cup very cold butter, plus more for foil -- cut in small pieces
8 ounces crème fraîche

Trim stems off figs. Cut figs into 1/8-inch thick slices and put in a large bowl. Bring 6 cups of water to a boil and pour over figs. Let sit 10 minutes. Drain and put figs in a large pot over medium-high heat with wine, 1 cup sugar, and 1/2 tsp salt. Bring to a boil. Meanwhile, tie up peppercorns, cinnamon, allspice, and cloves in a 6-by-6-inch piece of cheesecloth and add to pot. Lower heat to maintain a simmer and cook until figs are soft and liquid is reduced to about 3/4 cup, about 2 hours. Remove spices and discard. Stir in vanilla. Let figs and liquid cool to room temperature.

Meanwhile, in a large bowl, stir together flour, remaining 3 Tbs sugar, and remaining 1/4 tsp salt. Drop in butter and work it into the flour mixture with your fingertips, a pastry blender, or a fork until it resembles coarse cornmeal with some pea-size chunks. Quickly stir in 2 Tbs very cold water until dough starts to hold together (it will still be quite crumbly). Gently knead dough 2 or 3 times in bowl, then turn onto a large piece of plastic wrap, shape into a 6-inch disk, cover with wrap, and chill for at least 1 hour and up to 3 days.

Preheat oven to 350°F. Place a 10-inch tart pan with a removable rim on a large baking sheet. Butter a large piece of foil. Unwrap dough and put on a floured surface. Roll dough into a 13-inch circle, turning 90° between each pass of the rolling pin to keep it from sticking. Transfer to the tart pan, allowing the dough to fall into place (if you push or stretch it, it will shrink back when baked). Trim edges 1/2-inch past rim of pan and fold down to double the thickness of the tart edge. Set foil, buttered side down, gently onto dough and top evenly with pie weights, dried beans, or rice. Bake 30 minutes. Remove weights and foil and bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Let cool.

Arrange cooled figs in cooled crust and pour fig-cooking liquid over them. Let sit at least 1 hour (at room temperature) and up to overnight (in refrigerator). Serve at room temperature, with crème fraîche.

Source:
"Sunset November 2007, pg 106"
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Black Mission Fig Tart - for Sharon by bjcotton (I figured some of yo...)
Thank you Sweetie - sounds good, although a bit sweet. Perhaps some gorgonzola mixed in the creme fraiche would do it.

Our tree is a green kadota fig. Love green figs the most.
  Re: Re: Black Mission Fig Tart - for Sharon by Harborwitch (Thank you Sweetie - ...)
Billy recipes just keep turning up!! Thanks to the friend 'anon' who was looking at this one.

I ran across a fig tree in Maui last week and played with making a bast*rdized jam/reduction with a few of them. I just added a little white wine to minced figs, a little balsamic, brown sugar and red pepper flakes and cooked the heck out of it. We ended up topping goat cheese, fruit platter, toast and just about anything with it until it was no more. What a great flavor it was - I've never been a big fig fan (sounds like a rock band ), but I think I could become one.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Black Mission Fig Tart - for Sharon by cjs (Billy recipes just k...)
It sure was spooky seeing this at the top. I still haven't tried figs. I've avoided them for so long, I keep forgetting about them.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Black Mission Fig Tart - for Sharon by Gourmet_Mom (It sure was spooky s...)
I've got tears in my eyes - oh my! I'm going to cry now. That fig stuff sounds really good Jean. It'll be easier to read again when it's not through tears! Figs with port wine are amazing!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Black Mission Fig Tart - for Sharon by Harborwitch (I've got tears in my...)
How in the heck did I miss this recipe!! SAVED thank you
  Re: Re: Black Mission Fig Tart - for Sharon by Harborwitch (I've got tears in my...)
Shortly after I saw this Billy's cell phone called me - it's the 2nd time. Brother Charles wife Elaine has it and swears that it's "pocket dialing". Spooky!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Black Mission Fig Tart - for Sharon by Harborwitch (Shortly after I saw ...)
Brother Chas?? Not my favorite...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com