Newburg Pot Pie question
  Re: (...)
How far can I take this and hold? I've got my stock made, including the cooked veggies, but can I take it all the way to adding the fresh seafood and hold? Then bring to room temp and cover with puff pastry and bake? I'm worried about the "sauce is very thick" comment. I don't won't it to OVER thicken.

Also, you slice the shrimp, but it says nothing about the lobster tail. Leaving it whole doesn't seem like the way to go. I'll probably cut it in large chunks unless I hear otherwise.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Newburg Pot Pie question by Gourmet_Mom (How far can I take t...)
Daphne, I haven't made this one yet. Where is the recipe? Better yet, when is dinner? I will be there. ;-)
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Newburg Pot Pie question by chef_Tab (Daphne, I haven't ma...)
Daphne, it's only my opinion, but I wouldn't add the seafood until you are ready to bake. You are going to love this dish, it is so good! Lobster chunks works just fine. What a nice meal, have a great time!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Newburg Pot Pie question by chef_Tab (Daphne, I haven't ma...)
It's in Issue #65, page 13, Theresa.

Daphne, I'm looking at the recipe and the note I wrote on the recipe is "cut in good size chunks" re the lobster.

If I made it ahead of time, I'd chill it in the baking dish you'll be using and just stick it in the oven to get the filling very warm (maybe not hot) before adding the puff pastry and then go on with the baking.

Don't worry about the thickness - it's fine after baking.

We had two wines with this one - an '04 Syrah (Tobin James) and an '04 Malbec (Camaraerie), both were wonderful with it
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Newburg Pot Pie question by cjs (It's in Issue #65, p...)
Thanks Jean and everyone. I picked up a pinot and a reisling. I'll let you know. Just opened one...LOL! I better go get my sauce made!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Newburg Pot Pie question by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks Jean and ever...)
In case you don't have that one, Theresa, here's the thread where the recipe is posted. It was very good! Newburg Pot Pie

[Image: NewburgPotPie.jpg]
Daphne
  Re: Re: Newburg Pot Pie question by Gourmet_Mom (In case you don't ha...)
Thanks Daphne. It looks fabulous! The crust looks perfectly browned. Yummy. You will have to let us know what you ended up doing with the seafood so we can make notes.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Newburg Pot Pie question by chef_Tab (Thanks Daphne. It lo...)
Thanks, Theresa. Although, my egg wash wasn't perfect...that's what a couple glasses of wine will do for you...LOL!

As for the leftover seafood, I'm embarrassed to say, we used that BEAUTIFUL FRESH lump crab meat for hot crab dip and ATE IT ALL! Therefore, we only ate one of the pies. And the boys even got to taste of that one. They are HUGE! As a matter of fact, next time I may try making four in smaller dishes for a multi-course meal and just reduce the baking time.

The shrimp is destined for Shrimp Sushi Parfaits today....YUM!

Edited to add: Another note on the pot pie. While I was excited about using puff pastry for the first time, I was slightly disappointed with this application. I really like a regular pie crust for pot pies, so will also try that next time as well.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Newburg Pot Pie question by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks, Theresa. Al...)
Looks great Daphne, hope you liked it as well as we all did when we made it for the dinner review.

"'04 Malbec (Camaraerie)" - dang, what we really had was a Camaraderie wine
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Newburg Pot Pie question by cjs (Looks great Daphne, ...)
Wow - doesn't that look absolutely gorgeous!