Slightly OT - peanut butter tip, PB & $$$$$
  Re: (...)
I know I say this somewhere - but finally tried it today. We only buy peanut butter that only has one thing on the ingredient list - peanuts. Of course that kind always has the oil floating on top and it's a pain to stir it in (usually Bob's job). Today I grabbed my hand mixer and used the "immersion blender tool", but you could use one beater; starting on low speed with the beater on the bottom of the jar and then slowly raising it (HOLD ON TO THE JAR) it just takes a couple minutes to stir the oil completely into the peanut butter.

I had to buy creamy peanut butter yesterday for a recipe I'm going to try. We're in the aisle looking for just "peanut" butter - there's a little old couple (cute as he!!, they were) trying to buy peanut butter - looking for the cheapest on the shelf; good ol' Skippy so loaded with junk that they didn't need to be putting in their bodies. It bothered me all day - it still bothers me. Good nutritious food shouldn't be so expensive that it becomes a major budgetary decision. Breaks my heart. We are all pretty fortunate that we can shop for what we want (within reason) and not have to worry about a 60 cent difference in the price of a jar of peanut butter. Sorry - just my grump for the day.
  Re: Slightly OT - peanut butter tip, PB & $$$$$ by Harborwitch (I know I say this so...)
Another tip for the natural nut butters (I use almond butter) is to store them upside down. You still need to stir, but it is easier than with all the oil at the top. I also give the jars a good shake prior to opening to get the process started.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Slightly OT - peanut butter tip, PB & $$$$$ by Harborwitch (I know I say this so...)
o.k., can I have the soapbox back now??
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Slightly OT - peanut butter tip, PB & $$$$$ by cjs (o.k., can I have the...)
I haven't tried it yet, but Whole Foods in the city has a peanut butter station where you grind your own. I'm afraid I have to buy Jiffy, since the typical brands are all that I have available here. I don't use it that often, but I guess I'll be checking that label next time I need some.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Slightly OT - peanut butter tip, PB & $$$$$ by cjs (o.k., can I have the...)
OK! It's all yours!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!