Tortilla Soup With Chipotle Shrimp Review
  Re: (...)
I made the tortilla soup with chipotle citrus shrimp from Splendid Soups yesterday. This is the second time I made it and we really enjoy this recipe. I searched the forum and don't find that it was ever reviewed here. I've mentioned before, we're on a calorie counting diet and I've been on the lookout for tasty low cal meals. This soup has 217 calories per cup. I had made it before and marked it "very good" and this time I was able to cut some of the calories by baking the tortilla strips garnish sprayed with PAM instead of frying them.

I think the thing that made the soup special are the shrimp. The method is really simple. Saute shrimp in butter (I subbed the Smart Balance 50/50 butter blend) then add a mixture of lime juice, frozen orange juice concentrate, and chipotle chile in adobo. I also made the Salsa Verde condiment. All together, it was a great late Sunday dinner.
  Re: Tortilla Soup With Chipotle Shrimp Review by HomeCulinarian (I made the tortilla ...)
Sounds really nice, if you get the chance, rent the movie Tortilla Soup, very interesting flick!
Chef de Cuisine
The Cowboy and The Rose Catering

USMC Sgt 1979-1985
  Re: Re: Tortilla Soup With Chipotle Shrimp Review by bbally (Sounds really nice, ...)
Jeanette, there are a number of soups from that book that are great -

Butternut Squash Soup (360 cal) - higher in cal. but I used canned milk in place of the heavy cream and Gruyere has such wonderful flavor, we sure didn't use much of it.

Wild mushroom Soup (201 cal) Roxanne just raved about this one.

Poblano-Corn Chowder (229 cal) One of my favorites.

The Lasagna and the cheeseburger soups were a hit around here also, but higher in bad goodies I love this book. They (C@H) outdid themselves with this publication.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Tortilla Soup With Chipotle Shrimp Review by cjs (Jeanette, there are ...)
I agree that there are some good recipes in that book... I agree on the butternut squash and wild mushroom and will add a few more to your list:
Black Bean with spiced pork kebabs
Cheesy Broccoli
Chili verde (gouda nachos were just okay)
  Re: Re: Tortilla Soup With Chipotle Shrimp Review by HomeCulinarian (I agree that there a...)
"Black Bean with spiced pork kebabs" - this one is marked to try.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Tortilla Soup With Chipotle Shrimp Review by cjs ("Black Bean with spi...)
I was a little hesitant to try this one because of the chipotle. Thought it might be a little too spicy for my system. What chew think?
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Tortilla Soup With Chipotle Shrimp Review by bjcotton (I was a little hesit...)
Billy, I'm not sure which you are referring to - the Black Bean soup doesn't have chipotle, but maybe it's one of the others? You know what I'd do were I you - the adobo sauce (that the chipotles are in) is such a nice addition, I think I'd waste a little money and just wipe off the peppers and throw them away and just keep the sauce and play with how much you will like in a dish.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Tortilla Soup With Chipotle Shrimp Review by cjs (Billy, I'm not sure ...)
The chipotle on the shrimp is really pretty subtle. If you wanted to avoid the chipotle and just add the adobo it would probably be fine... but then again, I don't have your tummy and don't know how sensitive it is to hot peppers!
  Re: Re: Tortilla Soup With Chipotle Shrimp Review by HomeCulinarian (The chipotle on the ...)
Billy, since chipotle adds such a lovely smoked flavor to a dish, how about subbing smoked paprika instead? That would give you an approximation of the chipotle flavor without the heat. Or if you want a little heat, sprinkle in some ground chipotle, a little bit at a time.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com