Homemade Marshmallows
  Re: (...)
Has anyone here made these?

I found a few recipes online and would love to try them but if someone here has a tried and true or any tips for making them I'd sure appreciate it.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Homemade Marshmallows by luvnit (Has anyone here made...)
I haven't, but I think we had a discussion on this a while back and someone on the forum had made them and said that it was definately worth doing. It was probably during the holidays because I remember buying the stuff to make them with my granddaughter, and we never got around to it. Thanks for bringing it up.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Homemade Marshmallows by Mare749 (I haven't, but I thi...)
I made them in school and must say they taste much better than store bought. However, not sure how they'd hold up to being roasted over a fire.
  Re: Re: Homemade Marshmallows by Mare749 (I haven't, but I thi...)
I have made them several times and each time they have turned out great. They're so easy, and people are quite impressed ("Marshmallows? You made marshmallows?????" I love it!)

These Chocolate-covered Raspberry Marshmallows are one of my favorites. I dip half, and keep the other half "plain" for adding to hot chocolate... yum...

(btw, the review from Annoymous in Pittsburgh wasn't me! But it was a joyous time making these little gems.)

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/choco_...llows.html

I made these Toasted Coconut Marshmallow Squares for Christmas last year and they were no less than incredible.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/v...res-240939

Note: this recipe made a full 9x13 pan, not the 9" square as indicated.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Homemade Marshmallows by DFen911 (I made them in schoo...)
THe coconut marshmallows sound really spectacular! But I am coo-coo for coconut!
Laura
  Re: Re: Homemade Marshmallows by luvnit (THe coconut marshmal...)
I can't remember which tv cooking show I was watching where the contender made homemade marshmallows and they were a flop. It made me think I'd never want to try making them.

How or what do you serve them with?
  Re: Re: Homemade Marshmallows by HomeCulinarian (I can't remember whi...)
Since I have had great success with homemade marshmallows from my very first try, I consider them "easy". It was probably just dumb luck...

Both the chocolate-dipped raspberry mallows and the toasted coconut ones were placed in little paper cups and layered in gift boxes for gifts (except those which I held back for myself...).

A friend used the coconut ones as a sort of "smore" dessert-- she placed homemade graham crackers on a baking sheet, topped each with a thin slice of Belgian milk chocolate, and then a marshmallow then placed the baking sheet in a very hot oven for a short time (less than a minute, I think) until the mallow and the chocolate softened. I've been wanting to try this, but when I make the coconut marshmallows, they are consumed before I can try...

I also want to play around with a kind of dessert soup, warm chocolate, with some raspberry marshmallows floating (and melting) on top. Served in little dessert cups.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Homemade Marshmallows by foodfiend (Since I have had gre...)
Gosh, those sound good, Vicci!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Homemade Marshmallows by foodfiend (Since I have had gre...)
I do consider these to be 'easy' also. I just made plain marshmallows and they are WONDERFUL!

My neighbor was gone on a month long trip and will be back on Saturday. I plan to let the neighborhood kids roast these at the firepit. I will let you know how they roast up.

[Image: DSC02565.jpg]
Laura
  Re: Re: Homemade Marshmallows by luvnit (I do consider these ...)
Quote:

I just made plain marshmallows and they are WONDERFUL!

What did you do to make plain ones? Did you use the raspberry recipe above and just leave out the juice, or did you use something else in place of the juice?
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?