Pineapple Crisp
  Re: Re: Pineapple Crisp by Mare749 (Barbara, that's how ...)
I melted a little vanilla ice cream and added rum to it for a sauce - really good. maybe a little rum in the dish itself.....

These are all sure good ideas.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pineapple Crisp by cjs (I melted a little va...)
FYI... I did cut the pineapple into smaller chunks and it was perfect. I also agree with Sharon's comments, as I am not sure exactly why we brought out bowls for this. Once our bowls were empty we began eating right out of the pan. The recipe should be modified to warn others of this phenomenon.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Pineapple Crisp by Mare749 (Barbara, that's how ...)
Quote:

Barbara, that's how we had it, warm with vanilla ice cream. Pure heaven! But, now that you mentioned coconut, I think that's going to be the first idea I try. Toasting for the last 15 minutes sounds like a great way to go.

Hubby hates dried coconut, only fresh and cracked and only once a year, maybe.

I have found a way to stake my part of the dessert!! YAY!!!

Barbara<~~~evil, in a twisted kind of way... 8)
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Pineapple Crisp by BarbaraS ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I wonder if I could use canned pineapple since none of the stores had any fresh. Anyone have ideas? Or should I just wait?
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Pineapple Crisp by bjcotton (I wonder if I could ...)
Billy, I would imagine you could use canned pineapple. But you may want to wait until someone who knows what they are doing comes along! I have used canned peaches in a pinch for cobbler. It isn't as wonderful, but still good.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Pineapple Crisp by chef_Tab (Billy, I would imagi...)
Pineapple survives canning better than just about any other fruit, so I wouldn't hesitate one bit. Just remember to drain it well, so it won't add too much liquid to the recipe.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Pineapple Crisp by labradors (Pineapple survives c...)
Funny you mentioned that Billy, because I was thinking of trying it next time, maybe using two cans of pineapple. It would certainly save time and it might be almost as good.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Pineapple Crisp by cjs (I'd like to offer up...)
Quote:

I'd like to offer up a suggestion to all of us who like this dessert - how about playing with it and making it our own??? Oatmeal has been suggested as a change for the topping maybe pine nuts, how about some additions for the filling?

go with pineapple -
a little mint, basil.... rosemary
cayenne, cinnamon, ginger.....star anise
raspberries, walnuts

oh, there are all kinds of things to play with in it - hmmmmm...

Jean, I found an interesting recipe in mastercook that uses a small amount of dried apricots, and a cup of fresh mango along with the pineapples. The topping sounds good too. It's a toasted coconut crisp. I'll let you know how it comes out.
Maryann

Re: Re: Pineapple Crisp by Mare749 ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Mare749 I read a post of yours where you mentioned pineapple bars - would you mind sharing the recipe?
  Re: Re: Pineapple Crisp by grammy2005 (Mare749 I read a pos...)
Oh, it would be my pleasure! I'll start a new thread.
Maryann