Jean's Cream Cheese Flan
  Re: (...)
Okay flan is one of those things I hate. Why? Well because it's one of those things my mom always made and she NEVER sticks to a recipe. And by that I mean she has SERIOUS flaws when it comes cooking. She will add or subsitute ingredients that don't make sense or she will omit ingredients that are necessary simply because she doesn't have it. For years I have been retrying recipes (either making it myself or trying it at a restaurant) that thought I didn't like to see if they taste the same as my mother made.

My concensus has been this: Most items didn't taste ANYTHING like my mom made and I usually like it.

I am going to check my pantry today (pretty sure I have all the ingredients) and try this recipe to see if I really don't like flan, or if I just don't like my mother's flan.

I am reposting Jean's recipe from the other thread and I will let you all know. That is my project for today.

CREAM CHEESE FLAN (FLAN DE QUESO)
Serving Size : 8

3/4 cup granulated sugar
12 oz. can Carnation Evaporated Milk
14 oz. can Carnation Sweetened Condensed Milk
8 ounces cream cheese -- softened, cut into chunks
5 eggs

Place sugar in small, heavy-duty saucepan. Cook over med-high heat, stirring constantly, for 3 to 4 min. or till sugar is dissolved & golden. Quickly pour into eight 10-oz. custard cups,* tip cups to coat bottoms with sugar syrup.

Place evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk & cream cheese in food processor or blender container; cover. Process until smooth. Add eggs; process till well mixed. Pour mixture into prepared cups. Place cups in two large baking pans; fill pans with hot water to 1" depth.

Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 30-40 min. or till knife inserted in centers comes out clean. Remove to wire racks to cool for 30 min.; chill for several hours or overnight. To serve, run small spatula around edges of cups; gently shake flans to loosen. Invert onto serving dishes to serve.

Description:
"You can make it up to two days ahead."
Source:
"A Century of Ortega Classics"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES :
*To make one large flan, use one 2-qt. casserole dish instead of custard cups. Coat with melted sugar syrup & pour milk mixture into dish as above.
Place dish in large baking pan; fill pan halfway with hot water. Bake in preheated 350 oven for 60-70 min. or til knife inserted in center comes out clean. Cool, Chill; invert as above onto a platter. Slice into wedges.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Jean's Cream Cheese Flan by luvnit (Okay flan is one of ...)
Oh Laura, I wish I'd posted this a long time ago then!! 'Cause if you do like it, we're both goin' be kickin' our butts that you didn't have it before!

I sure hope you do - like it.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Jean's Cream Cheese Flan by cjs (Oh Laura, I wish I'd...)
Oh my, I can't imagine ANYONE not like that recipe! It sounds fabulous! Thanks Jean and thank you Laura for posting it.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Jean's Cream Cheese Flan by Mare749 (Oh my, I can't imagi...)
gosh, I wish I had the ingredients for this! I guess it is back to the store tomorrow. I knew there was no way I could ever take on Jean's challenge of no shopping for a week. I am lucky to miss a day.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Jean's Cream Cheese Flan by chef_Tab (gosh, I wish I had t...)
Speaking of which, MS Theresa, as of today, we managed to not step foot in a grocery store for 9 days!!!! Shopped like hell today, tho.

The economy of P.A. will probably go to hell without Roy's visits
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Jean's Cream Cheese Flan by cjs (Speaking of which, M...)
I think my record is 4 days, and that was when I was too sick to drive. My hubby will never hear of this Jean. He will nag and say if Jean can do it so can you! In every other way I am such a planner, but fall short when it comes to food. It doesn't help that I have one side by side refridgerator and no extra freezer. Besides, I have to drive by a grocery store every day, so it isn't an extra trip.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Jean's Cream Cheese Flan by chef_Tab (I think my record is...)
Good grief Jean! Nine days?!?!? That's awesome! Like Theresa, I STILL don't have a freezer. There's one at the camp, but the guys use that for venison and "stuff". I still don't know what "stuff" is, but I don't open it...I'm scared. Plus, the grocery store is closer.

Anyway, we feel better prepared for the garden this year, so I'm hoping to get a freezer this year and fill it up! When shrimp come in this Spring and money is right, I'm buying BUNCHES! I'm turning over a new leaf...when it's CHEAP, I'm buying BIG! If He doesn't want to waste money, he'll buy me a freezer!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.