Need Some Ideas, Please
  Re: (...)
Once a month we go over to Seattle area to take care of my Mother and Aunt and give my sister a break from taking them grocery shopping, cutting nails and all that stuff that I shouldn't go into detail about. We always take them to lunch also - and believe me that is one darn challenge with all their quirks and needs. ANYWAY, my poor aunt is who I need some help for. She had mouth cancer a number of years ago and has a lot of trouble with foods - to the point she can't have anything with any substanc/needs chewing at all. Think meatloaf, mashed potatoes, gravies that kind of thing. She does pretty well with Orzo, we just introduced her to this and she is having fun working with it. She can still do most of her own cooking.

Also, just yesterday, told her about couscous and she's excited to 'play' with that also. She is the spunkiest 85 year old I've ever been around - some of you will have heard of her, she's my Aunt Marjean and I was born on her birthday, which has always given us a connection. Geez, one glass of wine and I digress....

I'm getting tired of making her meatloaf to take over every month, so we're branching out. She loves salmon, pork, chicken, beef, but she's allergic to crab, mushrooms and a few other goodies. I have a nice salmon cake recipe to take next month.

But does anyone have some great gournd pork or chicken patties that are flavorful - she still loves flavors, just not too hot nor too salty.

Maybe doesn't have to even be patties, something that I can make, freeze and put in FoodSaver bags for her that is made from ground meat.

Shoot, just remember cottage cheese patties!!! Just 'talking' to you all I'm getting some ideas. But I do need your help. So thanks ahead of time for any thots.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Need Some Ideas, Please by cjs (Once a month we go o...)
Quote:

But does anyone have some great gournd pork or chicken patties that are flavorful - she still loves flavors, just not too hot nor too salty.

The Lumpia I just made were ground pork, and potstickers would be, too. Likewise, the bulk Italian sausage for the Lasagne Soup is ground pork. Stuffed cabbage would be another good choice. None of those are extremely spicy, and they are all delicious, as well as not just the same thing every time.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
Why not Salisbury Steak ir "our" hamburger pie? Can she do pulled pork? How would some "soft" meatballs in spaghetti sauce over orzo work? Rissotto...WE used to do a boiled sausage thing where you broke an egg in it at the end and served over leftover rice...same with canned salmon. Salmon patties. Just off the top of my head.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
Jean, How about those asian meetballs I posted on Lorraines meetball post. Those freeze well and can be used in lomein or in a Pho type soup.

Also, the zuchini cakes in C@H - not sure of the issue/special book right now - are very tasty with the tomatoe sauce. I can look it up later if you need me too. I will do some more thinking on this. I was always challenged cooking of my step dad who couldn't chew or swallow much. I have to admit we ate meatloaf frequently when they visited...

I am off to gymnastics (the kids not me) so If I can think of anything else I will post later.

Oh, and just a note - Steve made the comment on the hungarian meatballs and sauce with the couscous - that it was old people food. lots of soft textures. I didn't want to mention that in the review... but he ate up all the meatballs and sauce the next day and commented on the great flavor!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Need Some Ideas, Please by esgunn (Jean, How about tho...)
Oh - here are some more...
Shepherds pie made with ground lamb, beef or turkey.

Maybe a southwest turkey patty served with one of C@H's black bean recipes?
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Need Some Ideas, Please by esgunn (Oh - here are some m...)
Jean, I seem to remember a chicken patty recipe in a back issue of C@H. I think it might be Billy who made it and said it was good. I'll look for you.

Does your aunt like quiche? My mom used to do a salmon quiche that we all loved. Also, what about beef barley stew, an eggplant lasagna, or polenta topped with meat sauce.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Need Some Ideas, Please by Mare749 (Jean, I seem to reme...)
Quiche! What a splendid idea!

And here I sit and can think of nothing.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Need Some Ideas, Please by Mare749 (Jean, I seem to reme...)
doing something with lumpia or cabbage filling is a good idea - she couldn't handle cabbage or lumpia skins.

hamburger pie,yes. pulled pork, no. risotto, yes. Shepherd's pie and southwest turkey patties - yes.

will look for the chix patty also.

Meatloaf is so close to meatballs that it easier for me to make the meatloaf for storing for her.

zucchini cakes, yes - will look at those.

Quiche - yes and I'm always freezing leftover, so that would be good - one without a crust - frittata like.

thanks, these ideas will keep me going a while.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Quote:

Jean, here's a chicken patty recipe from Cooking Light we've made and enjoyed. I'm sure you can adjust the spiciness to suit your aunt's needs. Spicy Chicken Cakes with Horseradish Aioli
  Re: Re: Need Some Ideas, Please by Sage ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
How about salmon "burgers" with a nice soft cheese melted in a "hamburger" format? Be a nice "grilling" idea as we get closer to spring and a feel for that type of cooking...
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)