Jean, I just have to ask.....
  Re: (...)
What is hippy bread? You mentioned it another time and I've been meaning to ask. Is it all full of sprouts and seeds? And what kind of "herbs" are in there???
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Jean, I just have to ask..... by Mare749 (What is hippy bread?...)
That's just what my kids called the bread I made and bought when they were growing up - lots of grains, chunks, seeds, whatever I can find.

A lot of their friends ate Wonder bread and I think they were envious, because you couldn't squish up their bread and bounce it on the ground..... as you can Wonder bread.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Quote:

What is hippy bread?

I wondered about this too. But I assumed it was some kind of earthy bread. My mom was a frequent co-op shopper and natural/organic foods person. We never had 'Wonderbread' in the house. I always envied my friends who did though.

Sometimes my mom would send me to the store to get a loaf of bread on my bike and I would have to buy 'Swedish Wheat' brand bread. I don't even think they make that anymore. It was good toasted, but for PB&J, yuck.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Jean, I just have to ask..... by luvnit ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
"We never had 'Wonderbread' in the house. I always envied my friends who did though." - exactly how my kids were.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Jean, I just have to ask..... by luvnit ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Has anyone else tried Ezekiel bread? I used it for a while when trying to "low-carb" but wasn't real crazy about it. It's made from sprouted grains.
Maryann

Re: Re: Jean, I just have to ask..... by Mare749 (Has anyone else trie...)
It sounds good, sprouted grains and all. I'd try it.

I am lucky, my kids will eat ANY bread and never complain. I buy a variety: white, wheat, whole grain, cracked wheat, cottage white, etc. I don't have them all available at the same time, but usually 1-2 loafs at any given time. They choose. I am always amazed that don't always choose white bread. As a matter of fact I think they prefer the wheat.

When I have bread with seeds, nuts, oats, etc. They always explore the bread with their eyes while they are eating and inquire, "What's this mommy?" I will tell them what it is. Sort of like a "Where's Waldo?" in their bread. They are always interested and never complain about the texture. But I do think that bread texture has improved over time too.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
Quote:

What is hippy bread? You mentioned it another time and I've been meaning to ask. Is it all full of sprouts and seeds? And what kind of "herbs" are in there???

As you said: the "herbs" would be the question. Maybe even "mushrooms." LOL!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Jean, I just have to ask..... by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
huh......will move on now.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Jean, I just have to ask..... by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
For anyone who might be interested, here is the website for Ezekiel bread, along with a description of what sprouted grains they use in it. I found it at my local health foods store. They keep it refrigerated.

http://www.foodforlife.com/
Maryann