Meyer Lemon #1
  Re: (...)
No real recipes for this first one.

I used 2/3 for the first dinner-- lemon-roasted chicken (slices slipped under the skin, the end of the lemon chopped and tossed into the cavity along with some onion, celery, garlic, and s&p). With the chicken, I oven-roasted small Yukon golds with pieces of lemon and olive oil, then tossed in green beans toward the end. It was heavenly! I've made lemon-roasted chicken before, but this time the pan sauce was so wonderful and very different from my other tries. And we ate the lemon along with the vegetables, it was so good. Yep, must be the Meyer difference!

I used the remainder of this lemon with Brussels sprouts to serve with the leftover chicken a couple of days later.

I forgot to mention, I also took a small slice of the lemon and ate it. Much more enjoyable than eating a regular lemon!

My foray into the new world of Meyer lemons will continue.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Meyer Lemon #1 by foodfiend (No real recipes for ...)
After killing 2 Meyer lemon trees, I finally tasted one and didn't particularly care for it...that was a waste of $104.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Meyer Lemon #1 by foodfiend (No real recipes for ...)
You know I have been looking into buying one of the Dwarf Meyer Lemon Trees to put in my kitchen. I understand they are very fragrant. Who wouldn't want their kitchen to smell like lemon?

Anyway, here is one site that I found that sells them. They seem to be one of the better sites (you can decide for yourself.)
Acorn Springs

If anyone has grown them inside their house, let me know. I'd be curious to see how the plant did.

[Image: Citrus_lemon.jpg]
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Meyer Lemon #1 by luvnit (You know I have been...)
What a good idea, Laura - I just may look into this also. We lost all three of our citrus trees this winter. They were in pots close to the house, but just couldn't make it. I do have room for a little tree and maybe with a grow light in the fixture near where it would be, it would work.

Hope anyone who has been successful with an indoor citrus lets us know.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Meyer Lemon #1 by cjs (What a good idea, La...)
Someday, before I die, I shall live in a home warm enough to have a lemon tree growing inside... or, heck, as long as I'm wishing--- I want to live in a tropical climate!!!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Meyer Lemon #1 by foodfiend (Someday, before I di...)
Oh that's so lovely!! My little dwarf bearass lime didn't do too well while we were gone. I'm not sure why, because it doesn't like alot of water. But when we got home it was overyly dry and some leaves curled. It's not dead, I hope to revive it on the deck this summer. In the house it grows under a light. I've had it two years and it's blossomed and then dropped the fruits when they were no bigger than a thumbnail. I hope a Meyer lemon would work better for you, Laura, but I bet it's going to be similiar in it's needs
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Meyer Lemon #1 by farnfam (Oh that's so lovely!...)
I have quite a few avocado plants (and a couple miniature palm trees I raised from "smuggled seeds") that I've had for about twenty years. No, I don't think they'll ever fruit, but I take care of them as best as I can.

They thrive in the summertime on our back deck, but just about die every winter in the dining room. We figured it was because the house was too dry when we use the woodburning stove. So we bought a couple humidifiers, one for the living room, one for the dining room, and they've been doing great over the past coupole years since. The leaves don't dry out like they used to.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Meyer Lemon #1 by BarbaraS (I have quite a few a...)
But, I wouldn't be happy without fruit forming. How about you, Laura, would you? But maybe bring it in the house in the winter and on the deck in summer.....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Meyer Lemon #1 by cjs (But, I wouldn't be h...)
Yes, I would love to have the fruit!

Some tips I hear was to bring it outside in the spring/summer/early fall. As for humidity while indoors, place the pot on a tray of rocks filled with water to evaporate enough moisture. Anyway, these websites all make it sound great.

Why wouldn't you want the fruit Jean? Just curioius.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Meyer Lemon #1 by luvnit (Yes, I would love to...)
typo....I sure didn't mean that.
www.achefsjourney.com