Oxtail recipe
  Re: (...)
Hi,

Does anybody have a really good recipe for oxtail. Have some defrosted but dont know exactly what to do with them. I have made soup before but now thinking of somekind of a stew.

Thanks in advance.
  Re: Oxtail recipe by piano226 (Hi,[br][br]Does anyb...)
Here is an earlier thread about oxtail.

Also, here is a pho recipe that Jean posted a while back.

That reminds me that I've been wanting to try making some oxtail soup, but need to see if the oxtail is available here.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Oxtail recipe by labradors ([url=http://www.foru...)
I think if you google ossobucco you will come up with a gazillion ideas!!!! We have some really nice oxtails available 90% of the time --- GREAT for that stew you wish to make!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Oxtail recipe by Roxanne 21 (I think if you googl...)
"Pho (Vietnamese Beef & Rice-Noodle Soup)" - oh, this one is so good! Have to do it again, I had forgotten about it.

Here are a couple - this first one I've not made, but it's on one of the 'to make' lists.

* Exported from MasterCook *

OXTAIL FIVE-SPICE STEW

1 kg oxtail pieces -- fresh or frozen
3 carrots -- peeled and cut into big batons
2 large brown onions -- skinned and quartered
2 red tomatoes -- quartered
4 stalks celery -- sliced into chunks
4 large potatoes -- parboiled, skinned and cut into large chunks
4 tbsp plain flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tbsp five-spice powder
2 sticks cinnamon
2 star anise pods -- (2 to 3)
1 tsp cloves

1. Wash and dry oxtail pieces well and place them in a large zip-lock or plastic bag. Add the flour and seasoning. Close the bag and shake to coat the oxtail pieces thoroughly. (You may marinate the oxtail in the fridge until you are ready to cook, not less than an hour, not more than a day.)

2, Heat up a frying pan and add enough oil to sear oxtail pieces evenly to seal in the meat and to create a smooth coat which will protect the oxtail from falling apart.

3. Place browned oxtail and all the cut vegetables in a large pan and add enough hot water to cover. Bring to a boil. Add the cinnamon, star anise and cloves.

4. You may then turn down the heat to a gentle simmer and leave this to cook for at least an hour or until tender. Alternatively, pour the boiling mixture in a slow cooker or crock-pot and cook on medium heat for three hours to tenderize the oxtail.

5. Whichever method you are using, remove the oxtail pieces and vegetable when they are tender. Strain the juices of the cinnamon and other spices and season with salt and pepper. Thicken the sauce with a little corn starch and serve it over the oxtail stew.

Description:
"Recipe by Pauline D Loh"
S(Internet Address):
"http://www.cuisine-asia.com/master_class/MASTER070924.asp"

-----
this one is very good, but can't remember where it came from.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Caribbean-style Oxtails

2 tablespoons olive oil
3 pounds oxtails
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup small diced onion
1/2 cup small diced carrot
1/2 cup small diced celery
1/4 cup small diced leeks
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon minced green onion -- white part only
2 teaspoons minced ginger
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 bottle beer (recommended: Guinness) -- (12-ounce)
1 1/2 cups veal stock or low-sodium canned beef broth
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves

Add the olive oil to the One Pot (or any pressure cooker, or a Dutch oven) and heat over medium heat until hot. Season the oxtails with the salt and pepper. Add half of the oxtails to the One Pot and cook until well browned on both sides, about 3 to 4 minutes per side. Set the seared oxtails on a platter once browned and repeat with the remaining oxtails.

Once all the oxtails are browned, add the onions, carrots and celery to the pan. Saute the vegetables until softened, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the leeks, garlic, green onions and ginger to the pan and saute for 1 minute, stirring often. Add the tomato paste and stir well to incorporate. Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and stir to combine. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add the beer to the One Pot and increase the heat to medium-high. Bring the beer to a boil and cook for 5 minutes.

Add the stock and allspice, stir, and return the oxtails to the pan. Return the pan to a boil and place the lid over the pan. Once a steady stream of steam is emitted from the pan, lower the heat to a simmer, and cook the oxtails until tender, about 1 hour in a pressure cooker or 2 hours in a Dutch oven. Remove the lid, and stir the chopped parsley into the pan. Serve immediately. Yield: 4 to 6 servings

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com