My new favorite potato salad.
  Re: (...)
I really do need to stay off Foodgawker.com; it is an evil place that gets me in all kinds of trouble.

Billy and I did this one the other day, and it is such a keeper that I'm afraid I'll never make potato salad any other way. We didn't use the apple - not real sure it's needed because there's enough sweetness in the carrots. Oh so good!

Russian Potato Salad
Ingredients (these are just some guidelines: feel free to add more or less depending on your preference)
2 potatoes
5 carrots
1 can of peas - used thawed frozen peas.
6 baby dill pickles
3 eggs
1/2 Granny Smith apple - left this out.
mayonnaise
dill
Directions
1. Cook potatoes, carrots, and eggs. It is very important not to overcook the vegetables: you don't want the salad to turn into a mush. At the same time, however, using undercooked potatoes is a crime in my book [Note: I cooked potatoes and carrots without peeling them first; my mom, however, recommended peeling carrots first: she is absolutely right! Follow her advice.]
2. Once the potatoes, carrots and eggs are cool, peel and cube them.
3. Cube pickles, and add them to the potato/carrot/egg mixture.
4. Add chopped Granny Smith apple, a can of peas and enough mayonnaise to mix everything together.
5. Season with salt and pepper, and if you want add finely chopped onion.
6. Let the salad sit in the refrigerator for at least an hour before serving.
7. Garnish the salad with dill, and you are done!

You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: My new favorite potato salad. by Harborwitch (I really do need to ...)
Hi,

As a token Russian on this board I have to say thats a good salad. Traditionally you put in a few boiled eggs also and some kind of meat.. I normally do a couple of boiled chicken breasts but have had it with boiled meat and even fish.

Enjoy

P.S. It is called Olivie.
  Re: Re: My new favorite potato salad. by piano226 (Hi,[br][br]As a toke...)
This sounds really good. I'll give this a try the next time I make some. While I have made my potato salad with dill before, I think my family would like the addition of the carrots and peas.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
I make a tuna salad that's hard boiled eggs, tuna, peas, mayo, and lots of dill - this reminded me of that except for the carrots and potatoes. I could easily see some chicken in this.

Bob has requested that this become the family potato salad and I happily agreed. This is so very very good!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: My new favorite potato salad. by Harborwitch (I really do need to ...)
I know that recipe as Salad Olivier. I had it once in France, once in Russia, and guess what? What we had was delicious and yours sounds even better.

Rereading your recipe, I realize that when we had it before it included diced beets.
  Re: Re: My new favorite potato salad. by sophia (I know that recipe a...)
does sound good, Sharon, except for the dill pickles (shudder, shudder) I'd use sweet for us.

speaking of different potato salads - a couple of weeks ago at Central mkt. a guy was demonstating some kind of bbq meat, but he was also serving potato salad with just a hint of the bbq sauce added to it and it was delicious. Last summer I think was when I tried a hint of chipolte to the p. salad and we sure liked that also.

fun to play with tato salad and flavors.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Quote:

As a token Russian on this board ...

Okay. Now that means you should share some good, authentic (not "healthified" or Americanised), traditional, Russian recipes with us. I'll pass on the borscht, since I don't like beets, but I'm sure a few others in this forum would like to try that.

How about some information about shchi, pelmeni, pirozhki (especially in contrast to Polish pierogi), blini, and maybe a discussion of whether Beef Stroganoff is authentic or not (and if so, an authentic, non-Americanised recipe), and likewise for Chicken Kiev (well, okay, that's Ukrainian, but maybe you'll have some insight there, too)?

Spasiba!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: My new favorite potato salad. by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
That would be fun - some authenic Russian dishes. I have a close friend who's granddaughter was adopted from Russia and when they visited Lyuba asked if I would try making Pelmeni (Siberian Meat dumplings) for her. I do have a recipe for them from my Time-Life series which has always been right on for being 'true' recipes from countries.

From that book I did make the Paskha (Easter cheese pyramid with candied fruite and nuts) and found it to be so-so, no repeat.

I also made the Kulebiaka (Flaky salmon or cabbage loaf) - pastry with salmon or cabbage filling - I don't even remember making this one, but I wrote it was "excellent!" with both fillings.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: My new favorite potato salad. by cjs (That would be fun - ...)
Hi,

Well, it is hard to just start posting a bunch of recipes. If you are interested in something particular please ask away and I will try giving it to you. Also try this website, they have pretty authentic recipes.... www.ruscuisine.com