Leftover Cornbread - What To Do With It?
  Re: (...)
Hey All,

I have about 80% of a skillet of cornbread leftover from last Sunday's Oven Fried Chicken. Aside from just reheating it, what other things could I do with it?

[whisper] can i feed it to the birds? [/whisper]

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Leftover Cornbread - What To Do With It? by BarbaraS (Hey All,[br][br]I ha...)
Stuffing for pork chops or chicken, thickener for a stew, cubed and fried, crumbled and used like bread crumbs....all for now.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Leftover Cornbread - What To Do With It? by Gourmet_Mom (Stuffing for pork ch...)
Ahhhh.... Thank you Sensei!! []sp?[/]

I will freeze and fry some slices. I've never made cornbread before.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Leftover Cornbread - What To Do With It? by Gourmet_Mom (Stuffing for pork ch...)
I love okra/tomatoes/sausage over cornbread.
Blackeye peas and ham over cornbread.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Leftover Cornbread - What To Do With It? by Old Bay (I love okra/tomatoes...)
Cornbread croutons.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Leftover Cornbread - What To Do With It? by Lorraine (Cornbread croutons....)
What about a bread pudding, sausage, onions etc. You might have to let it soak a bit longer. Gosh I just love corn bread. Oh use it a crust for a chili pie
  Re: Re: Leftover Cornbread - What To Do With It? by DFen911 (What about a bread p...)
"Cornbread croutons." - great minds and all that.
"okra/tomatoes/sausage over cornbread." - oh yeah.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Leftover Cornbread - What To Do With It? by cjs ("Cornbread croutons....)
someone I know suggested using the crumbs as a binder for appetizer Turkey Meatballs, and serving them with salsa.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Leftover Cornbread - What To Do With It? by BarbaraS (Hey All,[br][br]I ha...)
A strata comes to mind, so I googled and here are some examples. I'm sure there are plenty more. I haven't tried them, but I think the principle would work with your favorite ingredients that go with cornbread:

Country Ham And Spinach Cornbread Strata Recipe

6-oz package Cornbread Mix baked according to directions
No-Stick Cooking Spray
1 1/2 c, 6 oz, shredded Italian Cheese Blend
2 c frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1 c chopped country ham
6 eggs
2 c milk
Black pepper to taste
1 T Dijon mustard
Sprinkle of nutmeg
3 green onions, cleaned and chopped

Prepare cornbread mix according to package directions, except bake in a 10-inch cast iron skillet. (Cornbread will be thin.) Remove cornbread from skillet; cool and cut into cubes.

Spray same skillet generously with no- stick spray cooking spray. Reduce oven temperature to 350 deg. Place cornbread cubes in skillet. Top with about half the cheese, spinach and ham. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.

In medium bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, mustard, pepper and green onions and nutmeg until well blended. Pour evenly over ingredients in skillet.

Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until set and lightly browned.

Tips:
If you should have leftovers, remove from the iron skillet prior to refrigeration.

You won't need salt in this recipe, the country ham is salty enough!

Make sure you really squeeze that spinach dry. You want your dish to be firm---not soggy!

Sausage Cornbread Strata

1 lbpound bulk sausage
1 onion, chopped
1 or 2 jalapenos, chopped or, for a milder version, 1 chopped red bell pepper
2 c grated cheddar cheese
1 8 1/2oz box of corn muffin mix
1 egg
1/3 c milk

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

In an 8 or 9 inch cast iron skillet set over medium heat, fry sausage with chopped onion and peppers. Drain the sausage, then arrange it evenly on the skillet bottom. Sprinkle cheese over the sausage.

In a bowl, combine muffin mix with egg and milk until just blended. Pour mixture over cheese and sausage mixture and bake about 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Invert skillet onto platter and serve immediately.

Makes 6 to 8 servings.
  Re: Re: Leftover Cornbread - What To Do With It? by sophia (A strata comes to mi...)
Thank you Sophia!! These look really good!

Barbara