An experiment I'd like to try, some day
  Re: (...)
Here is a site that has detailed instructions, and lots of pictures, for how to make your own soy sauce. At first, it seems a little creepy, but this IS how the real thing is done, so either you'll be fascinated by this or you will never use soy sauce again. LOL!

Be sure to follow all the comments from other people, as well, and note that there's more than just one page. Amazing stuff.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: An experiment I'd like to try, some day by labradors ([url=http://forums.e...)
"After a few days, her neighbor politely knocked on her door and asked if her cat had died." so much for making fish sauce either, I think.

How interesting that was to read and see, Labs. Thanks for posting it. I made worcestershire sauce one time, no where near the process of soy, but I was amazed at all the ingredients that go into worcest. And it took forever to reduce down, but the end result was very tasty as I remember. One of those things like puff pastry that I'm glad I did once, but why again????
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: An experiment I'd like to try, some day by labradors ([url=http://forums.e...)
Pretty neat Labs. You are right, kinds creepy at first. If I did at home I would have thought I did something terribly wrong.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: An experiment I'd like to try, some day by luvnit (Pretty neat Labs. Yo...)
That was probably some of the most interesting information about such things that I have read.

Jean, you're right about the Worcestershire, too. BTW, do you still happen to have the recipe you used? I'd love to give that a try sometime, too. It's one of the few things in which I DO like anchovies, and I can get tamarind all over the place around here, since it grows here and is used for making a popular (and delicious) drink. Hmmm... time to start another thread.
  Re: Re: An experiment I'd like to try, some day by labradors (That was probably so...)
Wow, I'll look and see - since I seem to have most of our old recipes out anyway....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: An experiment I'd like to try, some day by cjs (Wow, I'll look and s...)
Ummm, Rob, if that drink recipe uses tamarind pulp, could you pretty please, post it sometime? It sounds as though it would be very interesting, but I'm only able to get the tamarind pulp (sold in a "block") around these parts...
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: An experiment I'd like to try, some day by foodfiend (Ummm, Rob, if that d...)
Vicci,

It's just a basic infusion, but I posted information about that, Jamaica and horchata in a separate thread. The link will take you there.

Here, it's sold either in the blocks, as you described, or in bags, with the "shell" still on.
  Re: Re: An experiment I'd like to try, some day by labradors (Vicci,[br][br]It's j...)
anon was looking at this thread and I realized I'd never found the worcestershire sauce recipe I made, Labs. sorry.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: An experiment I'd like to try, some day by cjs (anon was looking at ...)
If you ever do find it again, Jean, please do post it. I'd still like to try it. There was also THIS THREAD where Laura posted one recipe she had found and I posted a link to another. Still haven't tried any of them, though.