dry brining, reverse searing, etc.
  Re: Re: dry brining, reverse searing, etc. by buzzard767 (I've received quite ...)
Sharpening for the home cook.

Barbara first: Congratulations on your Shun AA knives. Unusual and good looking. The steel in those knives is the aforementioned VG-10 with stainless cladding. Shun, who markets primarily to the Western markets, has made it easy for you. Shun grinds all of their edges at 16 degrees per side. Because of this they sell an electric sharpener to match. It's available everywhere Shuns are sold and at mail order sites such as Cutlery & More. Do not use any other sharpener as most of them cut angles of 22-25 degrees per side and your knives will lose the acute edge therefore reducing cutting ability.

Roxanne: You said Peter loves knives. Now he's going to have to love sharpening. The only way to maintain Japanese knives is to do them yourself unless you can find a local sharpener who specializes in them. Your chances of finding that person are one in a hundred, unless you move to Japan. The fastest and easiest way is to use stones. A three stone set will do for years and I'll let you know what to get if you decide to go this way. It's not hard but does require a bit of practice. I can send you a copy of a two DVD set on free handing if your DVD player is capable of decoding US DVDs.

You can get much more involved than that but unless you sharpen as part of a knife hobby it certainly isn't required, or even recommended. You have to be crazy like yours truly to go over the edge.

Buzz
  Re: Re: dry brining, reverse searing, etc. by buzzard767 (I've received quite ...)
WOW, Buzz----------thank you so very much for your time and patience. That is very informative.

I will have Peter check out this thread and let him make the "informed" decision as to how we should proceed. We will be in touch by pm......
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: dry brining, reverse searing, etc. by buzzard767 (Sharpening for the h...)
Buzz,

Thanks for the info!! I love these knives and they are wicked sharp!

And thanks for the link, I'll be ordering that sharpener!!

BTW, the Rib Eye "Buzz Style" was awesome!! I'll definitely be doing that again.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: dry brining, reverse searing, etc. by BarbaraS (Buzz,[br][br]Thanks ...)
Quote:

BTW, the Rib Eye "Buzz Style" was awesome!! I'll definitely be doing that again.

Barbara

Easy isn't it. As long as you pay attention and pull the steak out of the oven at the correct temperature the outcome is an absolute no brainer. To compliment the steak a friend of mine sent his mushroom recipe:

JoeC's mushrooms for steak:
Shallots in clarified butter (ghee) and EVOO. Then add the mushrooms, and let cook for about 5 more minutes now add red wine, balsamic vinegar, thyme, tarragon and reduce about 50% then salt and pepper to taste.
Buzz

I have kleptomania,
but when it gets bad,
I take something for it.
  Re: Re: dry brining, reverse searing, etc. by buzzard767 ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Quote:

[blockquote]Quote:

Easy isn't it. As long as you pay attention and pull the steak out of the oven at the correct temperature the outcome is an absolute no brainer. To compliment the steak a friend of mine sent his mushroom recipe:

JoeC's mushrooms for steak:
Shallots in clarified butter (ghee) and EVOO. Then add the mushrooms, and let cook for about 5 more minutes now add red wine, balsamic vinegar, thyme, tarragon and reduce about 50% then salt and pepper to taste.

Buzz,

I just did sliced 'shrooms, onion, garlic, and chopped peppers. Delish!!

And thanks again for the knives info. The Hubby was impressed with your knowledge and knew that I'd have to buy a special Shun sharpener when he researched the knives he bought for me.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
I am doing this method tonight. Let you all know how it goes.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: dry brining, reverse searing, etc. by luvnit (I am doing this meth...)
I thought about it, Laura. But with Fillet Mignon, I just couldn't risk it.

Would someone PLEASE tell me if that is one l or two?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: dry brining, reverse searing, etc. by Gourmet_Mom (I thought about it, ...)
One L: filet mignon. Although English sometimes uses two Ls, filet mignon is a specific, French term, and always only has one L.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: dry brining, reverse searing, etc. by labradors (One L: [i]filet mign...)
Thanks Labs....when you do a search, both come up, so I've never been sure which.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: dry brining, reverse searing, etc. by buzzard767 (I think I've previou...)
This method worked just great and it was NOT too salty. It was perfect. The reverse searing was also a big hit. I used a probe and cooked it to 92, but I think I could have cooked it a bit more, the steak I had was very thick and it was a little on the rarer side. I like rare but seem to prefer a more med-rare better these days.

Would I do this again? Yes! And I would not worry a bit about the salt.

SIDE NOTE: My dad also tried this method. Not sure how true he stayed to the method. He said his steak was not salty enough, he had to add salt after he cooked it. He also said his steak (ribeye) was tough. I also know he likes his meat well done. I mean really WELL DONE. It freaks me out everytime he eats a steak with us because we have to cook it, then put it in the salamander and cook it some more, until it starts to curl toward the heat. Then flip it over and cook it more. I doubt if he put enough salt on it to begin with, maybe it was even table salt. And I am sure as ***** that it was more well done than any of us would like.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura