Tonight is Eggroll night!
  Re: (...)
About once a year I make a HUGE batch of eggrolls. We eat a ton of them, but I freeze the rest, separately on large trays in the freezer then package them in sets of 4 for later use.

They come in so handy and I just reheat them in the oven at 375 for 15 minutes and taa-dah! Eggrolls for all!

[Image: egg-rolls-199x300.jpg]
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Tonight is Eggroll night! by luvnit (About once a year I ...)
I commented just a few days ago that I haven't made eggrolls in ages. Thanks for the nudge! What filling do you use?
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Tonight is Eggroll night! by Lorraine (I commented just a f...)
Oh my, sounds so good - we're eating out of the freezer, don't know what yet.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Tonight is Eggroll night! by Lorraine (I commented just a f...)
I use a pork, shrimp and cabbage combo. I also like a bit of ginger in my eggroll filling. I plan to make about 90-100 of them. Not full-size, but half-size.
Laura
  Re: Re: Tonight is Eggroll night! by luvnit (I use a pork, shrimp...)
Oh, Laura, this sounds so good! This is something I need to try someday.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Tonight is Eggroll night! by luvnit (I use a pork, shrimp...)
What recipe do you use? Never made an eggroll.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Tonight is Eggroll night! by bjcotton (What recipe do you u...)
Thanks, Laura. Billy, they are really fun to make, especially if you make them with someone else. You can sit there and wrap them up, gossip.........
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Tonight is Eggroll night! by Lorraine (Thanks, Laura. Bill...)
Love eggrolls----I agree with Lorraine...they are so much fun to make. I never thought about freezing them, hmmmm. Next time I will make room in the freezer for those eggroll moments
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Tonight is Eggroll night! by bjcotton (What recipe do you u...)
As I sit here this morning eating yummy cold egg rolls, I am still in heaven. I am posting my tried and true recipe for these beauties for you all in case any of you get the egg roll bug.

Egg Rolls

This recipe will make about 45 egg rolls.

3 lbs ground pork (you can grind it yourself if you like)
3 t. fresh grated ginger
1 lb cooked shrimp (pulsed in a food processor til chopped)
1 large head of cabbage or 2 small heads, sliced thin (like cole slaw)
24 green onions, thinly sliced greens and whites
6-9 T. oil
3 teaspoons of salt
3 pkg. egg roll skins ( I use Melissa's, they bubble and crisp the best)

Cook ground pork in large skillet or wok in 1-2 T. oil until no longer pink. During cooking sprinkle with 1 t. salt and 3t. ginger. Remove from pan and drain.

To your skillet or wok add 3-4 T. oil, when hot add cabbage and stir fry for 1-2 minutes sprinke with 1-2 t. salt (remember you will be adding soy sauce though, but the cabbage will still need some salt.) Add green onions and soy sauce and cook until cabbage is tender and wilted, but not soggy. Toss in cooked shrimp and pork.

Line a large colander with paper towels and place colander in a large mixing bowl or over a plate to catch juices. Put egg roll filling in colander and press down.

Let this mixture sit either all day or overnight in the fridge. The cabbage will release its water, mixture will settle. You can weigh it down a bit if you like.

Next Day:

Use a #20 scoop (about the size of an ice cream scoop) to portion filling onto skins. Roll egg rolls according to the back of the egg roll package and seal with beaten egg and water.

Fry egg rolls in deep fryer at 375 until golden on the outside. Remember, they will darken more as they sit and drain, so don't overcook them. The filling in the middle is already cooked, so you don't need to worry about cooking the center. Only cook a few egg rolls at a time, depending on how many your deep fryer holds. I have found that turning them with a tongs is nearly impossible, but I do get an even browning by gently shaking the basket during cooking from side to side. This ensure even coating of hot oil. But be careful.

If you want to freeze your cooked egg rolls, place them in a single layer on a sheet pan and freeze. Then place them in a large zip lock, or portion them in freezer bags.

These are the beauties I made last night. Crispy and delish!

[Image: eggrolls.jpg]
Laura
  Re: My Egg Roll Recipe by luvnit (As I sit here this m...)
These sound delicious - never thought to make a big batch and freeze. What a great idea!