Need a chili recipe
  Re: (...)
Still looking for a chili recipe that is wonderful. Does anyone have a favorite chili recipe they are willing to share.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Need a chili recipe by luvnit (Still looking for a ...)
Laura, I don't have a "recipe" so to speak. I will point out that we were supposed to try a chili recipe after Christmas, but I don't think any of us really had time. So you may want to look for that one. For me, a regular chili is just beef, onion, chili powder, tomatoes, and a little heat. The "trick" for mine is the beans. Bush's has a chili beans that has seasoning in with the beans. They are very tender and flavorful. I think this is what my kids really like about my chili. I'll see if I can find a pic of the can of beans and the post for the recipe we were going to try.

Like I said, my recipe is not anything special, so you would be better off waiting for someone that makes a TRUE chili....like Bill or Labs. Although, I bet theirs don't have beans in it....LOL!

Here's the link. Next Review Dinner

Here's a pic of the beans...ChiliMagic: [Image: bdy_chili-traditional.jpg]
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Need a chili recipe by Gourmet_Mom (Laura, I don't have ...)
The weekly C@H email just had a chili recipe, That is why I changed my signature line to say "If you know beans about chili, you know chili ain't got no beans!"

Otherwise, when I make chili, I just throw it all together according to my fancy at the time (and do NOT use beans!).

Don't forget: even though chili powder IS mostly ground chili peppers, the spice that gives chili powder (and the resulting chili) it's distinctive aroma is cumin.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Need a chili recipe by labradors (The weekly [url=mail...)
Laura - I have two chile recipes that I alternate between. The first one is much more flavorful, but the second one is an old family favorite that everyone in the world can eat and you mostly just open cans.... but it is good.

This one won first place in a contest!! I'm adding all the notes also. (the notes can be deceiving - Chef CJ is not me, it's another cook who used to be on C2C)

* Exported from MasterCook *

TURKEY CHILI WITH WHITE BEANS

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 medium onions -- chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 1/2 pounds lean ground turkey
1/4 cup chili powder
2 bay leaves
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 can whole tomatoes -- (28 ounce)
3 cups beef stock or canned beef broth
1 can tomato sauce -- (8 ounce)
3 cans small white beans -- (15 ounce) rinsed, drained
Chopped red onion
Chopped fresh cilantro
Plain low-fat yogurt or light sour cream

Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium heat. Add onions; sauté until light brown and tender, about 10 minutes. Add oregano and cumin; stir 1 minute. Increase heat to medium-high. Add turkey; stir until no longer pink, breaking up with back of spoon. Stir in chili powder, bay leaves, cocoa powder, salt and cinnamon. Add tomatoes with their juices, breaking up with back of spoon. Mix in stock and tomato sauce. Bring to boil. Reduce heat; simmer 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add beans to chili and simmer until flavors blend, about 10 minutes longer. Discard bay leaves. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Rewarm over medium-low heat before continuing.)

Ladle chili into bowls. Pass red onion, cilantro and yogurt separately.

chefCJ - Jean, thanks so much for this recipe. They raved about it and I had to pass the recipe onto everyone. I thought it could have had a bit more heat to it - personal preference - but it worked so well as my friend (who is expecting) cannot eat anything too spicy, so it worked very well.

2win - I will make this chili recipe and will submit it for my company's first annual chili cook off this Friday. I will post the result and comments

2win - Hey CJS,
Do you want to know the result? I won! The prize was a grocery gift certificate. Your recipe is really good. Who would have thunk of using cocoa powder, and cinnamon for chili.

I made some changes in the recipe not because I intentionally want to, but by either pure accident, or use what ever is available.

What I changed were:
-seasoned white beans because the store do not have plain white beans.
-added 1 cup of chicken broth because I have some left and don't want it go bad.
-add in 1 green pepper 'cause it was sitting there and was very lonely and I thought, what the hey.. so I cut it up and tossed it in.
-1/3 C. of chili powder instead of 1/4 C 'cause I couldn't find my quarter measuring cup and don't want to use any other bigger cup and 1/3 c. was available. What the hey..the more the merrier.
-additional salt.

I didn't eat any of it last night because it was getting late,and knew it was good from the little taste here and there. But, after the judging and I had a bowl, boy, was it good..delicious. EVERYONE was raving about it.

Thanks for the recipe.

Cj - 2win, congratulations!! That's just great. I'm adding your 'what the hey' ideas to the original.

I get so bored making the same chili all the time, but this is one that I've come back to often and it would be easily adapted to a slow cooker, I would think.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Whatever part of the country you live, just pick up the equivalent cans that sound the same....

* Exported from MasterCook *

DEVA'S CHILI

1 pound ground beef
1 large onion -- chopped
16 ounces Nalley's (or Hormel) hot chili w/beans
16 ounces Dennison (or Hormel) chili w/out beans, not hot
14 ounces Hunt's chili beans
14 ounces small red Hunt's beans (or Kidney)
14 ounces canned tomatoes
8 ounces tomato sauce
salt & pepper

In a medium sized skillet, brown the ground beef and onions.
In a large pot or heavy pan, mix the meat mixture with the rest of the ingredients.
Cover and put in slow oven 325 F. until bubbly hot.

Description:
"This is Cousin Deva's recipe for chili that everyone who tastes it love it."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Need a chili recipe by cjs (Laura - I have two c...)
Jean, I so remember the white chili discussion...especially the baby shower. I have that one copied in my C2C file and have yet to fix it. Thanks for the reminder.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Need a chili recipe by Gourmet_Mom (Jean, I so remember ...)
Here's my favorite:

2 Anaheim or poblano chiles, roasted and chopped
2 jalapeno chiles, veins and seeds removed, finely chopped
2 dried New Mexico large red chiles
2 dries cascabel (small walnut sized) chiles
2 lbs ground beef (or chicken)
2 cups chopped onions
1/4 cup chopped garlic
1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
1-2 bottles of dark beer
1-1/2 cup reduced sodium beef broth
1 can dark red kidney beans
4 T chile powder
1 T ground cumin
1 T ground coriander
1 bunch cilantro, stems removed
1/2 lime, juiced

-Soften dried chiles in 1 cup boiling water for about 30 minutes, then chop finely

-meanwhile, roast Anaheim or poblano chiles over open flame of gas burner or under broiler until completely charred and black. Place in paper bag, seal and let steam for 15 minutes. When cool enough to handle, peel under running water and finely chop.

-In a large heavy pot or dutch oven brown onions and beef together and add garlic toward the end of the browning process. Drain off the fat in a colander, return to pot and add all chiles and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

-Add chile powder, spices, tomatoes, beer, broth, reserved water from the chile soaking, salt to taste, bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered for 1 hour.

-removed leaves from cilantro and reserve stems. Add kidney beans, chopped cilantro stems and cook for 1/2 hour.

Stir in 1 cup chopped cilantro leaves, lime juice and serve.

I garnish with chopped scallions, chopped fresh cilantro, shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream and lime wedges.

Sally
  Re: Re: Need a chili recipe by lxxf (Here's my favorite:[...)
A while back, I posted the recipe for "Jack Frost" Dad's Kinda' Chili from when TBS ran Jack Frost for their "Dinner and a Movie." It is VERY good.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Need a chili recipe by labradors (A while back, I post...)
Thanks for the repeat....now it is time to try new chili recipes. I will be looking this one over before shopping tomorrow!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Need a chili recipe by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks for the repea...)
TEXAS CHILI
2 cans (14 oz) chopped tomatoes
2 green or red chili peppers, chopped
1 t salt
dash black, white , cayenne peppers, garlic and onion powder.
1 bay leaf crumbled
Simmer 20 min in a large stock pot, stirring ocassionally.
Set aside.

2 lbs lean ground beef
1 1/2 lb ground pork
3 large grlic cloves, minced
2 med yellow or white onions, chopped
2 C beef stock
1 12 oz can dark beer (pref Shiner bock)
1 8oz can tomato sauce
1 T paprika
1 T ground cumin
1/2 C chili powder (pref ancho)
1/2 t onion powder
1/2 t garlic powder
salt & pepper to taste
1 t Mexican oregano (or other) chopped

Cook meats in iron skillet with onion and garlic until nearly dry. The pork furnishes enough fat. Add to tomato mixture in a large stock pot. Add all other ingredients. Simmer, covered until chili is reduced to about 3/4. (3-4 hrs). Stir every once in awhile.

I like to add 2T masa mix dissolved in 3 T water--adds flavor and thickness.
Serves 6-8, more if served over rice or fritos.
My own. The real thing.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Need a chili recipe by luvnit (Still looking for a ...)
Talking chili is like talking politics: Everyone has an opinion and everyone is right!

Seriously, I love all chilis: beans, no beans, white chili, green chili, easy chili, texas chili. I'd love to have a chili cookoff and finally decide which one I love and my hubby too. Actually, he's the picky one and can never actually tell me what he wants in a chili.

Thanks for all the help. It all looks good to me!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura