Nuss Schinken
  Re: (...)
Somewhere in our travels we ran across the greatest German deli and I sure wish I'd known about this goodie to look for. Sounds tasty. Anyone every have this?

-----

Nuss Schinken is an imported German ham that is typically dry cured and smoked. In German, Schinken means ham, so you’ll find a lot of different Schinken types. Nuss Schinken is similar in taste and texture to Westphalian ham, and it may be known as small Westphalian ham. The main differences are that the overall cut is a little bit smaller, and the ham itself is usually a little drier than the Westphalian type. Usually you can substitute one for the other in recipes calling for either.

Sometimes Nuss Schinken and Westphalian hams are called German prosciutto. They may be best served in paper-thin slices, because they are somewhat dry and salty. You can substitute Nuss Schinken for prosciutto in the popular recipe for melon wrapped in prosciutto.

Gourmets often think Nuss Schinken and Westphalian are two of the most desirable hams, since preparing them takes considerable time and the results are considered delicious.

Both types of hams go through a double preparation process before being sold. Dry curing first occurs, which basically entails salting the exterior of the ham and allowing it to sit until the salt is absorbed into the meat.

Once the dry curing process is completed, the hams are smoked very slowly over different types of wood. Westphalian and Nuss Schinken typically use juniper berries, and sometime sage for this smoking process which takes, at minimum, a month.

The pigs used to produce either type of ham are special. They are fed a diet of acorns and nuts, which many insist makes a huge difference in the final product. They tend to be less fatty then other pigs, and have a light delicate flavor. This flavor is then given special attention through the double preparation process.

In appearance, Nuss Schinken is dark pink or almost red in color, and its exterior color is dark brown to black. If you don’t have a professional slicer at home, you may want to have your local deli preslice this for you, since cutting it at home in the fine slices it requires can be challenging. You may also have a difficult time finding Nuss Schinken; it’s much easier to find Westphalian ham.

Look for it in specialty delis, especially German ones, or look for the ham at specialty butchers. Your butcher may be able to order this if you give them advanced notice. Though most of this ham is made in Germany, there are a few American companies which produce this ham. An Internet search can reveal several sausage companies and meat processors that specialize in creating authentic specialty hams.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Nuss Schinken by cjs (Somewhere in our tra...)
It sure sounds delish, Jean. I just have one question tho'........exactly what disease did "cured" ham have????
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Nuss Schinken by farnfam (It sure sounds delis...)
Cis, you are sounding dangerously like Rob!

Jean, I lived in Germany for a while and never heard of this ham. How interesting! Nuss means nut, so the name was probably derived from what the little oinkers were fed.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Nuss Schinken by chef_Tab (Cis, you are soundin...)
We have that in our German delis here-----Smile

I haven't purchased it yet because I tend to be a bit finicky when it comes to pork/ham products---it is very expensive and I will most likely go for the known--meaning Italian Prosciuotto---hmmmm...may be on the next ingredients list!

Thanks for the info, Jean----
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Nuss Schinken by Roxanne 21 (We have that in our ...)
Oh, if you do, be sure to let us know what you think of it.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Nuss Schinken by cjs (Oh, if you do, be su...)
You bet!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Nuss Schinken by chef_Tab (Cis, you are soundin...)
Quote:

Cis, you are sounding dangerously like Rob!

LOL!

To answer her question, I would say that they were cured of being alive.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Nuss Schinken by cjs (Somewhere in our tra...)
I have never heard of this. I always learn something new here! I will have to put this on my 'Things to try' list.

I found this photo on the internet. At this website they sold it for 1.5 lbs. for $24.99. But it must be worth it.

They also said it was 'dried', is it?

[Image: nussschinken.jpg]
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Nuss Schinken by luvnit (I have never heard o...)
This sounds like a wonderful treat. Unfortunately, I will probably never run across it. I will keep a look out though. Thanks for the info. I can't wait to hear if someone tries it.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Nuss Schinken by Gourmet_Mom (This sounds like a w...)
me either, Daphne. It does look like a large slice of prosciutto, doesn't it? I'll be it's tasty.
www.achefsjourney.com