What an Eclectic Dinner!!
  Re: (...)
Our friends and Roy & I had a great day searching for treasures at Cash & Carry and Central Market yesterday. We came home and had the most fun grazing kind of eclectic dinner - even the couple next door came over and joined us.

Found a couple pkgs. of Lefse at a Bakery in Poulsbo, so introduced my Norwegian favorite to the group. Then moved on to Sweetbreads - oh my, they were delicous - octopus salad, seaweed salad. we all just picked out of the containers.
[Image: sweetbreads.jpg]

and finished up the Caribbean Fudge pie - it's sure going to be another 20 years before I make it again, unless there is a big group to eat it.
[Image: caribbeanfudgepie.jpg]

I love Central market - picked up some calamari steaks and breaded clam strips (to try in the new stove top fryer) for later.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: What an Eclectic Dinner!! by cjs (Our friends and Roy ...)
Did the octopi still have their heads on? Ewwwwwww!
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
I never heard of Lefse, so for the rest of us who don't want to google and find out, how about a little lesson in what it is and how to make it?
As for the rest of your menu - you're a gal after my own heart. I LOVE adventurous eating and unusual foods (the octopus and seaweed.)
((((stomach growling))))

Looks wonderful!

Did I hear you say 'stovetop fryer'? Now that sounds like a wonderful piece of equipment!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: What an Eclectic Dinner!! by luvnit (((((stomach growling...)
Caribbean Fudge pie?? that pic made me drool! I've never heard of this pie, but being a true chocoholic I wouldn't mind having a piece of that! Could you dear Jean share the recipe with this poor soul? LOL
Thanks!
BTW, how do I post a picture here? I MUST share some images of the new owner of my heart: a 2-month old female miniature Yorkie called Sophie! just gorgeous!
  Re: Re: What an Eclectic Dinner!! by marzyn (Caribbean Fudge pie?...)
First of all, Marina, I know how to post a pix, just don't know the buzz terms to tell you. Daphne, Labs, Denise or some other nerdie (meant lovingly, you know ) will be by soon to help you out.

The fudge pie recipe is posted here somewhere just posted it the other day for Theresa... I think.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Caribbean Fudge Pie

8 squares Baker's Semi-Sweet Baking Chocolate -- (1 box)
1 unbaked 9-inch pastry shell ( or just buy Pillsbury pie crust)
1 tsp. rum extract or vanilla
1/4 cup flour
3 eggs
1 cup chopped walnuts
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup butter -- (1/2 stick) room temp.
2 tsp. instant coffee granules
1/2 cup walnut halves

Heat oven to 375 F.

Microwave chocolate in microwaveable bowl on HIGH 2 minutes or until almost melted, stirring halfway thru heating time. Remove and stir until completely melted Set aside.

Beat butter and sugar in large bowl until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.

Add chocolate, coffee and rum extract; mix well. Stir in flour and chopped walnuts. Pour into pastry shell. Decorate top of pie with walnut halves.

Bake in lower third of oven 25 minutes. Cool on wire rack. Refrigerate at least 1 hour or until ready to serve. Top with whipped cream or ice cream, if desired.

From Kraft Recipe card - early 90s.

Yes, Billy.....yyyyyeeeeewwwww, the heads were on.

Gloria, you've missed a great deal during you hiatus from the forums - I've mentioned Lefse quite often lately and probably even posted the recipe a time or two. Lefse is a Norwegian bread made from mashed potatoes and is cooked on a dry griddle. They look very much like a very large flour tortilla. You spread softened butter on them and sprinkle with granulated sugar and just enjoy the heck out of them as the melted butter runs down your arms.

This is my Grandmother's recipe -

* Exported from MasterCook *

Mom Shelledy's Lefse

5 large white potatoes (the old & mushy type)
2 cups sweet cream -- half & half, or milk & water
1 tsp. salt
3 T. butter
Flour for rolling the lefse out

1. Boil potatoes and mash until very fine.
2. Add cream, salt, and butter; beat until light.
3. Let cool (fairly)
4. Add flour until workable.
5. Roll out and bake on top of griddle (or wood burning stove)

More traditional instructions -

Follow above through #4 - the dough will be fairly dry, but stay together to be rolled out.
Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour.

Roll the dough out into ropes and cut into one inch chunks.
Roll chunks into thin circles like tortillas.
Heat a griddle to about 400 F.

Place a circle of lefse on the griddle and cook until brown spots appear on the heated surface.
Flip and cook the same way on the other side.
Place between paper towels while coking the rest of the lefse.

To serve: Some folks like just butter, my family always smeared the softened butter over and topped with a sprinkling of granulated sugar.(some folks like cinnamon also Fold twice or roll into a cylinder. Eat and enjoy!!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : My grandma made lefse for the family for all my life and probably years before that! I don't know how she kept up with us when the whole family was around her huge round kitchen table, soft butter and the sugar dish in front of us just waiting as the lefse came off her old wood stove. I know we must have eaten faster than she could cook them. This recipe is how she dictated her recipe to my sister, Joan, many years ago.

---

And...that is probably more than you ever wanted to know about lefse.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What an Eclectic Dinner!! by cjs (First of all, Marina...)
OMG, Jean, I am so making this!!!! Even tho' I'm trying desparately to weigh down so I can eat on vacation, I think I have to make this anyway!!! I'll invite a few girls over or send it to work with Jame, but I have to make it.

Marina, someone will probbly explain it in more detail soon, but basically you go to photobucket.com and set up an account, pretty simple. Then click download photos and it will browse your pix (which you presumabably already have on your hard drive) and you select which ones for it to load. Once that's done, you hover your mouse over the photo you want to share, control C the img thingy under the picture and then control V into your C@H post. There will be several kinds of codes under the photobucket photo, pick the one that starts img etc.
Hope that helps, if not blame the vodka, Jame made some really good bloody marys just now
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: What an Eclectic Dinner!! by farnfam (OMG, Jean, I am so m...)
Marina, that's pretty much it. After downloading in the photobucket site, you will hover your mouse over the pic and there will be several codes listed below the picture. Like Cis said, click the one that has the img tag. It will say copied. Then you just paste that code into your message.

Labs uses a different photo account, but I can't remember what it is. I've been satisfied with photobucket so far.

Jean, what an "adventurous" dinner! I'm afraid this one is a little out of my league at this point. I just don't know if I could do the octopus...maybe the sweetbreads. I'm getting kind of used to what those are. The Lefse is something I've been meaning to try.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: What an Eclectic Dinner!! by Gourmet_Mom (Marina, that's prett...)
Just follow the instructions I posted for avatars, a while back, but paste the image code into the message body instead.

PhotoBucket is okay, and a lot of people like it, but it DOES REQUIRE you to give them you email address to set up a free account in order to host ANY pictures. ImageShack offers a similar service, but it is still possible to host photos there WITHOUT having to create an account unless you actually want to do so.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: What an Eclectic Dinner!! by cjs (First of all, Marina...)
Oh Jean the pie sounds wonderful--I love raw oysters--that's as creative as I get (I do eat mountain oysters, fried, and I like clamari)--I don't do the fifth quarter, and I'm still working up the visual experience of doing an octapus. OMG--eating involves all the senses--visual and textural are part of it.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".