Cooking Wine Question
  Re: (...)
I am making the chicken Saltimbuca (I know i didn't spell that right) for dinner. It is from Weeknights II.

It calls for Marsala - I don't have any. I have Brandy, sherry, Madiera, chardoney, or Savag/Merlot. Which would you suggest I sub with? Or combination?

I am off to take the kids to gymnastics, but will check back tonight just before making dinner. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Cooking Wine Question by esgunn (I am making the chic...)
Good Question!!

Can anyone suggest a Port to make Port/wine reduction sauces with? I suck at making sauces and want to try to improve in this area.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Cooking Wine Question by BarbaraS (Good Question!![br][...)
Erin, I think I sub sherry for the marsala when necessary.
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Cooking Wine Question by farnfam (Erin, I think I sub...)
Another vote for sherry. I made C@H's ravioli/chicken marsala dish the other day and they said subbing sherry would not hurt the recipe.
  Re: Re: Cooking Wine Question by Trixxee (Another vote for she...)
Even being the Sherry lover that I am, I would use Madeira in this case. It's much more similar to Marsala than Sherry is.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Cooking Wine Question by labradors (Even being the Sherr...)
I fourth or fifth the sherry. Barbara...Jean always suggests Noilly Prait for the port, but I have not found it. I have been using what I can find and have been satisfied with it.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Cooking Wine Question by Gourmet_Mom (I fourth or fifth th...)
Quote:

I fourth or fifth the sherry. Barbara...Jean always suggests Noilly Prait for the port, but I have not found it. I have been using what I can find and have been satisfied with it.

Okay!!

But sweet, medium sweet, or dry Sherry??

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Cooking Wine Question by BarbaraS ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Madeira, maderia, maderia, my dear!!(In place of Marsala)
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Cooking Wine Question by Old Bay (Madeira, maderia, ma...)

Waaaaaaahh!!!

I am so challenged about sauces!!

Barbara
  Re: Re: Cooking Wine Question by Old Bay (Madeira, maderia, ma...)
I will defer to the wine expert on the Marsala sub...I've never had Madeira, so didn't know.

Barbara...I was talking to Erin with the Sherry comment. I don't know what I would sub for port...dry vermouth if I had to, but if you don't need it tonight, I'd get some port. I now keep a bottle in the pantry all the time. If I don't have anything else, I'll add some port to a sauce.

I keep in my pantry the following....dry and sweet vermouth, dry and sweet sherry, dry and sweet port, and marsala...I guess I need to add Madeira. I also try to keep a bottle of white and red wine, but somehow, it keeps getting gone. I can't imagine why?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.