Dinner Monday, January 26th
  Re: (...)
I am sooooo ticked off with myself! I was thinking of doing the Sage-Crusted Pork Tenderloin the other night, but went with the Almond-Crusted Turkey Tenderloin. When I ran in the store today to pick up dinner, I was rushed to leave....don't ask. So I grabbed a pork tenderloin on sale and some fresh sage and raced out. I figured I would use up some salad in the fridge and make polenta. Just now an idea popped in my head....ARRRRRGGGGG! Butternut squash would have been a GREAT side with this. I also forgot I needed apple juice and an apple....forgot that too, so this will be a very [Email]b@stardized[/Email] version of the recipe. So much for grocery shopping in a rush.

Okay, now that I've gotten that off my chest, what are you guys having?

Hey, wait a minute....can't I use the same application for butternut squash with sweet potatoes (butter, garlic, salt and sage) and get similar results?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Dinner Monday, January 26th by Gourmet_Mom (I am sooooo ticked o...)
We are having the Grilled Fattoush Salad from a Weeknight book (I think it's from there anyway). And some TJ's garlic naan. Easy, fast, fairly healthy.
  Re: Re: Dinner Monday, January 26th by Trixxee (We are having the Gr...)
I'm starting a new class called Healthy Living through the local health clinic. Hubby is coming along and doing the class with me. I have to lower my cholesterol and shed some pounds. Doctor's orders. So, I don't know what we'll be eating yet.

We'll be back on high veggies and fruit and low fat diets. Just need to add lots of flavor so it will all be okay!
  Re: Re: Dinner Monday, January 26th by HomeCulinarian (I'm starting a new c...)
I'm not going to review the Sage-Crusted Pork Tenderloin yet, because I didn't do the sauce, but I will say the crusted pork alone is AWESOME!

Also, I am excited to say that sweet potatoes will work well in a pinch in an onion/sweet potato or butternut squash/sage roasted dish! REALLY well! This is exciting because I have to plan the squash so that I can pick it up in town, but I can get sweet potatoes ANYWHERE! YUM!

Finally, the polenta didn't work at all, but the roasted sweet potatoes with onions and garlic was a great side and worked well with the pork!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Dinner Monday, January 26th by Gourmet_Mom (I'm not going to rev...)
It's Chinese (Lunar) New Year so I made sweet-and-sour chicken over basmati rice. Except that I didn't have the can of pineapple chunks I thought I had so there wasn't much "sweet" about it. 'Twas quite delicious, though!

Trixxee, I buy TJ's naan by the case... 10% discount!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Dinner Monday, January 26th by foodfiend (It's Chinese (Lunar)...)
You guys are so lucky...I have never even had naan! I guess I could make it...summer project I guess.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Dinner Monday, January 26th by Gourmet_Mom (You guys are so luck...)
We used Jean's method for pan-seared steaks, (used rib-eyes) then made Diane sauce (C@H recipe) to drizzle over. They were fabulous! This is the third time I've used this method with total success and my daughters have used it as well.

Also made [Email]C@H[/Email] parsnips and yukon gold mash, (we love this!) and a romaine salad. Had my dad over for dinner and he absolutely loved this meal.

Jeanette, I will be very interested to hear what you will be cooking. We need to eat healthier at this house too. Please tell us all about your class. I'm sure there are others here that would be interested as well.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Dinner Monday, January 26th by Mare749 (We used Jean's metho...)
"I'm sure there are others here that would be interested as well." yes, we've been throwing in healthier dinners a couple/three times a week - plus, we have cut our consumption in half darn near! I'm proud of us, but we've got a ways to go.....

Roy picked up some poblanos yesterday, so changed my quinoa dish from a casserole to stuffed poblanos and were they tasty!! (a Cooking Light recipe, by the way ) I'll post it in another thread. The tomato sauce it called for didn't sound very appetizing, so tried a Hatch chili dip - THANK YOU, BILL!!!! When Bill & Jane were here they brought us a few cans of Hatch chilies and a recipe for a Hatch Chili dip. Man, is that good. I took a little of the dip and thinned it out and used that as the sauce for the poblanos. Terrific flavor!!

We have friends coming over from Hood's Canal for a couple of days today, so I'll use the dip for a snack before we go to see Clint Baby in Gran Torino tonight. Early movie and come back and test the Jammed Up pork chops on them.

Daphne, that's great that you liked the sweet potatoes as a sub. They really are versatile, aren't they??
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Dinner Monday, January 26th by cjs ("I'm sure there are ...)
We did the Salisbury steak from the new cooking for two. I didn't have bread for the cheese bread so we served them on home made fettucini tossed with garlic spinach. Per Bob's request we topped the "steaks" with a bit of gorgonzola - oh, my - to die for. Such rich flavors in the Salisbury!

Wonderful meal - and we will have this one again.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Dinner Monday, January 26th by foodfiend (It's Chinese (Lunar)...)
Quote:

Trixxee, I buy TJ's naan by the case... 10% discount!

I ate more naan last night than anyone has a right too. No wonder I can't lose an ounce! Do you get the garlic verrsion (has cilantro on it too) or the plain?