1/2 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano or Parmigiano-Reggiano
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 teaspoon salt
freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
To Serve
1 pound shells or rigatoni, cooked and still hot
freshly grated Pecorino Romano or Parmigiano-Reggiano

To make the sauce, heat the oil in a large heavy pot over medium heat. Pat the pork dry and put the pieces in the pot. Cook, turning occasionally, for about 15 minutes, or until nicely browned on all sides. Transfer the pork to a plate. Brown the veal in the same way and add it to the plate.

Place the sausages in the pot and brown on all sides. Set the sausages aside with the pork.

Drain off most of the fat from the pot. Add the garlic and cook for about two minutes or until golden. Remove and discard the garlic. Stir in the tomato paste and cook for 1 minute.

With a food mill, puree the tomatoes, with their juice, into the pot. Or, for a chunkier sauce, just chop up the tomatoes and add them. Add the water and salt and pepper to taste. Add the pork, veal, and sausages and basil and bring the sauce to a simmer. Partially cover the pot and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 2 hours. If the sauce becomes too thick, add a little more water.

Meanwhile, make the meatballs:

Rinse your hands with cool water and lightly shape the mixture into 2-inch balls. (Note: If you are making meatballs for lasagne or baked ziti, shape the meat into tiny balls the size of a small grape.)

Heat the oil in a large heavy skillet. Add the meatballs and brown them well on all sides. (They will finish cooking later.) Transfer the meatballs to a plate.

After two hours, add the meatballs and cook for 30 minutes or until the sauce is thick and the meats very tender.

To serve, remove the meats from the sauce and set aside. Toss the cooked pasta with the sauce. Sprinkle with cheese. Serve the meats as a second course, or reserve them for another day.

Source:
"The Sopranos Family Cookbook"
Copyright:
"Warner Books, Inc. and Home Box Office"
Yield:
"8 cups"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Sopranos Sunday Gravy by bjcotton ( ...)
Gosh that sounds good. By the way, did you know I'm the world's #1 Sopranos fan? I cannot get enough of that show and watch at least part of a rerun almost daily.
  Re: Re: Sopranos Sunday Gravy by Trixxee (Gosh that sounds goo...)
I must admit Trixxee that I've never watched it. Then again, I watch very little television. Haven't been to the movies since "Ghost Busters" came out either.

Billy
  Re: Re: Sopranos Sunday Gravy by bjcotton (I must admit Trixxee...)
Thanks Billy! This sounds awesome! I guess I have a marinara experiment in my near future. Between the Brooklyn one I posted in the other thread, your sauce, and this one...we'll be eating a lot of Italian in the next few weeks. I think I can handle it!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Sopranos Sunday Gravy by bjcotton ( ...)
Thanks for posting this! It might be hard to find some of the meats at my local grocery. If I get them all, I'll sure give this a try.
  Re: Re: Sopranos Sunday Gravy by Nana (Thanks for posting t...)
Welcome Nana. It's not easy to find things like neck bones here in my town either. I usually find them when I visit my sister in Portland, OR.

Daphne, I want to try the Brooklyn one too. My recipe is a little salty, so I'd cut down on the salt and then reseason later.

Billy
  Re: Re: Sopranos Sunday Gravy by bjcotton (Welcome Nana. It's ...)
Thanks for the heads up, Billy!

Nana, I won't be able to get the veal bones, I don't think, so I will just sub beef. Funny, neck bone is abundant here. As a matter of fact, William used some to make some neck bones and rice yesterday at the camp...a regional thing!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Sopranos Sunday Gravy by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks for the heads...)
If I can't get the neck bones, I'll add spare ribs or pork chops. His cousin used to add a roasting chicken, so I think I'll try that also.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Sopranos Sunday Gravy by Lorraine (If I can't get the n...)
Just my two cents here, but I have found that using a couple of ribs or even a pork steak works best because it's easier to pick out the bones.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Sopranos Sunday Gravy by Mare749 (Just my two cents he...)
I love it that they call it Sunday Gravy. My nana used to call it that too. In fact, it wasn't til I grew up and left Brooklyn that I saw that others call it Sauce or Red Sauce. We always called it Gravy
Cis
Empress for Life