Neat Food Quotes...
  Re: (...)
Well, I think these are pretty interesting quotes about the topic we all love to share about!

This one goes right along with how most of us think around here and it is a quote from James Beard himself!

"I’m going to break one of the rules of the trade here. I’m going to tell you some of the secrets of improvisation. Just remember — it’s always a good idea to follow the directions exactly the first time you try a recipe. But from then on, you’re on your own."

I personally do not agree with all of this one but this is from Chef Anthony Bourdain...gotta love the man's passion!

"Vegetarians, and their Hezbollah-like splinter faction, the vegans, are a persistent irritant to any chef worth a darn. To me, life without veal stock, pork fat, sausage, organ meat, demi-glace, or even stinky cheese is a life not worth living. Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for, the pure enjoyment of food. The body, these waterheads imagine, is a temple that should not be polluted by animal protein. It's healthier, they insist, though every vegetarian waiter I've worked with is brought down by any rumor of a cold. Oh, I'll accommodate them, I'll rummage around for something to feed them, for a 'vegetarian plate', if called on to do so. Fourteen dollars for a few slices of grilled eggplant and zucchini suits my food cost fine."
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Neat Food Quotes... by firechef (Well, I think these ...)
I totally agree with James Beard---I live his quote, literally!!

Bourdain?? He is quite the entertaining character...I became acquainted with him through BBC food network...very strange but I enjoyed his programs. The things he got up to....gotta give him credit though...he does not mince his words!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
Quote:

It's healthier, they insist, though every vegetarian waiter I've worked with is brought down by any rumor of a cold.

Having known quite a number of vegetarians, I can see what he means. Of the vegetarians I have known, only ONE was actually healthy consistently. The others would all be felled by having someone in the next room even think the word "atchoo".
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
I agree, and I have a daughter who was a vegetarian (now she is vegan), being sickly with cold, stomach or gastro problems, nausea, etc. can be very frustrating when trying to feed them. Now that she is vegan it is even more difficult to make sure that a pat of butter does not venture to touch a broccoli florette.

While I am sure that it can be a very 'heart-healthy' way to eat and admire people with the stamina to stick with it, I do agree that my own daughter is constantly plagued by minor illnesses.

(Hey Look! I'm gonna be a Pooh-bah soon!)
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Neat Food Quotes... by luvnit (I agree, and I have ...)
**nods in agreement with Anthony Bourdain** My daughter wants to go full vegetarian and I keep on her about it's not healthy. We are not herbivores. We're omnivores for a reason because our genetics requires certain things. EAT MEAT!

**gets her t-shirt out that says "For every animal you don't eat, I'll eat 5"

My Quote - There is plenty of room for all of God's Creatures. On my plate!

I didn't claw my way up the food chain so I could eat vegetables.
  Re: Re: Neat Food Quotes... by DFen911 (**nods in agreement ...)
Quote:

I didn't claw my way up the food chain so I could eat vegetables.

LOVE that one! I know I don't get around much, but I don't think I have met more than one or two vegetarians. Funny, one that I know of will eat seafood, use chicken stock in a pinch, and has ham biscuits as a part of her Christmas brunch every year....family tradition. I think it's hilarious! If you're watching...Sorry about that Jo.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Neat Food Quotes... by DFen911 (**nods in agreement ...)
Guess I'm lucky, I don't know any
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Neat Food Quotes... by bjcotton (Guess I'm lucky, I d...)
You know one - Jennifer; nothing but fish and poultry and veggies. She sleeps 10 hours a day, always has a cold, and yacks at Bob and I about our diet.

Of course her reasons aren't altruistic - mostly she doesn't think red meat is healthy, doesn't eat pork for "religious" reasons, and is too picky to eat much else. The ones I love are the vegans who wear leather shoes and carry 300.00 leather handbags.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Neat Food Quotes... by Harborwitch (You know one - Jenni...)
Quote:

The ones I love are the vegans who wear leather shoes and carry 300.00 leather handbags.

That, or the environMENTALists who not only rail against meat and leather, but also clamour about "big oil," etc., then use all kinds of plastic (a material made from petroleum) products. The double- and triple-standards abound!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Neat Food Quotes... by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Three:
#1--Try and serve something with vegis and cheese to you vegitarian friends -only invite your vegan friends to tea--(if you have any of those)--"Old Bay"
#2--"The English are an amazing people--they have 50 religions, but only one sauce"-Voltaire (the Frenchman) after spending a year in exile in England.
#3--When Julia Child was asked what you could substitute for butter, she replied "heavy cream".
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".