Great appy ideas
  Re: (...)
Ran across this one on a newsletter and we made it with out friends Tues. nite - it was gone in no time!

BAKED FETA WITH BANANA PEPPERS AND SLICED TOMATOES
Chef-Owner George Bumbaris, Prairie Grass Café - Northbrook, Ill.,

1 lb. Imported Greek feta cheese, cut into 4 oz. pcs, 2/3" thick
2 oz. Virgin olive oil
1 Banana pepper, hot, thinly sliced (see note0
1 Roma tomato, thinly sliced
Cracked black peppercorns to taste
Baguettes or country-style bread, as needed

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

2. Brush 4 individual oven-safe gratin dishes with olive oil (can also be done in a large baking dish for family-style service). Place cheese in the dish and arrange peppers and tomatoes on top of cheese. Drizzle with remaining olive oil and sprinkle with pepper.

3. Bake for about 12 minutes. Finish under broiler until golden brown. Serve immediately with baguette or country-style bread.

Four to 6 slices of banana pepper per serving are sufficient unless more heat is desired.

----
I bought a 5 oz. piece of feta and just squished it down a little and topped with the goodies and went from there. Kelly had garlic oil so used that - we were sopping bread pcs in the oil also - soo good!!

And then the next night we went to Johnny Carino's, an Italian restaurant - guess it's a chain, but had never heard of it. Dinner was fine - huge helpings, we have dinner for Friday and Saturday's breakfast!!

But, the appetizer was just delicious!

Sicilian Fire Sticks –

A large tomato/basil tortilla wrap filled with Italian sausage, chopped grilled chicken, bacon, romas, jalapenos and ‘creamy’ Italian cheeses (I’m thinking Mozz, Fontina, Jack and Wendy [my d-i-l] mentioned a soft Asiago – which I‘ve never heard of - she googled it after they told her what all was in this). It’s rolled, dipped in more Asiago (or Parm) and deep fried. Good Lord could make a meal of just that – and you can just feel your arteries clogging.
-----

Trying so hard to be kinda good, but.... Off to google soft asiago!

Oh, also Matt & Wendy are really good sources for movies for us to rent - they mentioned Princess Bride - anyone seen it?

Also, a book, The Forgotten 500 - will look for that on Amazon soon as we're home.

Oh, and just so you all know, you can teach old dogs new tricks - our friends have W!! (is that how you'd type it?) - we got caught up in the bowling, baseball (harder than h*ll) and tennis. what a hoot. Now Roy wants to buy this - but, man it's expensive!! Fun tho.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Great appy ideas by cjs (Ran across this one ...)
Prairie Fire is a great restaurant. The appy sounds delicious , marking that to try.

The "Princess Bride" is a great movie - funny and sweet love story, adventure, comedy.... one of our favorites that we actually own.
  Re: Re: Great appy ideas by HomeCulinarian (Prairie Fire is a gr...)
The Princess Bride is one of those "cult classics" that has done immeasurably better on DVD than it ever did in the box office. For me, it was a "must-own" DVD.

Those who have seen the movie find it inconceivable that anyone would NOT want it. (That's a little inside joke for those who already know the film.)
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
Jean that Feta cheese appy sounds fantastic. Of course dummy here bought crumbled feta - but I'm thinking I could layer all the goodies on the bread and bake that - sort of like a french bread pizza???
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
Jean - is that a raw or jarred banana pepper.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Great appy ideas by Harborwitch (Jean - is that a raw...)
WHAT IS A BANANA PEPPER?????? C'mon you guys---initiate the uninitiated here!!!

Great appy, Jean----if I can find that banana pepper--
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Great appy ideas by Roxanne 21 (WHAT IS A BANANA PEP...)
Quote:

WHAT IS A BANANA PEPPER?????? C'mon you guys---initiate the uninitiated here!!!

Great appy, Jean----if I can find that banana pepper--

It's also called Hungarian Pepper.
  Re: Re: Great appy ideas by HomeCulinarian ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Thanks----s'pose I could have googled it, huh?? Lazy--that's all!!!
  Re: Re: Great appy ideas by HomeCulinarian ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Quote:

banana pepper = banana chile = sweet banana pepper Notes: These are easily confused with hotter yellow wax peppers. Sample before using. Substitutes: yellow wax (hotter)

yellow wax pepper = Hungarian wax pepper = hot Hungarian wax pepper Notes: These are easily confused with milder banana peppers. Sample before using. Substitutes: banana pepper (milder) OR guero

Source (includes photos): Cook's Thesaurus
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Great appy ideas by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Thanks, labs---we do have those available here!!

You are a star!!!!