recipe flank steak/asparagas rolls
  Re: (...)
Hi all,
I am new here and looking for a recipe that was featured a couple of years ago. It was thinly sliced flank steak that had whole asparagas and green onions rolled in it. It also had a soy sauce marinade.
I would appreciate any help here as it is one of our family favorites that I'd like to prepare for tonight.

Thanks
  Re: recipe flank steak/asparagas rolls by Gerrie (Hi all,[br] I am new...)
Welcome to the neighborhood, Gerrie!! I remember that dish - I'll go look for it and post it.

Japanese Steak Rolls
(Cuisine at home, April 2004, Issue 44, p. 42)

Makes: 16 Steak Rolls Total Time: 45 Minutes with Rice Rating: Easy

For the Japanese Steak Rolls —
Slice Across Grain; Pound Out and Season:
1 lb. flank steak, trimmed

Place on End of Beef, Roll up:
16 8-inch asparagus spears trimmed
16 8-inch pieces scallion, trimmed

Combine; Marinate Beef:
6 T. seasoned rice vinegar
6 T. low-sodium soy sauce
4 t. sugar
1 T. toasted sesame oil

Related Recipes:
Garlic Lime Rice
Red Bell Vinegar Dip

Slice flank steak across the grain into 16 strips, 1/4 - 1/2" thick. Pound each to about 1/8" thick and season with salt and pepper.

Place one asparagus spear and one scallion across the short end of a strip of beef. Roll beef around vegetables and secure with a toothpick. Place on a shallow baking pan in a single layer; roll remaining beef and vegetables.

Combine remaining ingredients, pour over beef, and marinate 10 minutes. Preheat broiler to high.

Broil steak rolls 5 minutes. Remove from pan, tent with foil to keep warm, and strain marinade into a small saucepan. Remove toothpicks from steak rolls before serving. Boil marinade until syrupy, about 5 minutes. Spoon glaze over each serving.

-----
Garlic Lime Rice
(Cuisine at home, April 2004, Issue 44, p. 43)
Makes: 2 Cups Total Time: 25 Minutes Rating: Easy

Heat in:
1 T. olive oil

Add:
3 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced

Stir in; Add:
1 cup long-grain white rice
2 cups water
2 T. fresh lime juice
1 t. kosher salt
2 T. minced fresh cilantro
2 t. lime zest, minced

Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high.

Add garlic; saute 3 minutes., or until golden brown.

Stir in rice; saute 2 minutes. Add water, lime juice, and salt; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes, or until water is absorbed. Stir in cilantro and lime zest.
-----
Red Bell Vinegar Dip
(Cuisine at home, April 2004, Issue 44, p. 43)
Makes: 1 1/2 Cups Total Time: 10 Minutes Rating: Easy

Combine; Blend in Food Processor; Transfer to Pan and Boil:
1 1/2 cups red bell pepper, seeded, chopped
2/3 cup distilled vinegar
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 t. red pepper flakes
1/2 t. cornstarch

Combine and blend all ingredients in a food processor or blender until smooth. Transfer to a saucepan; boil 5 minutes.

Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: recipe flank steak/asparagas rolls by cjs (Welcome to the neigh...)
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!
You even got me the accompaning rice dish. You're the best.
Gerrie
  Re: Re: recipe flank steak/asparagas rolls by Gerrie (Thank you, thank you...)
Welcome to the forum Gerrie! Be sure to keep coming back to see what we decide to try next. Enjoy!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: recipe flank steak/asparagas rolls by labradors (Welcome to the forum...)
WELCOME Gerrie----now how on earth did I miss that one---marked for the future!!!

Come and visit again!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: recipe flank steak/asparagas rolls by Roxanne 21 (WELCOME Gerrie----no...)
Probably the same way I did Roxanne. Sure sounds good though.

Welcome Gerrie! Hope you join us regularly.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: recipe flank steak/asparagas rolls by bjcotton (Probably the same wa...)
I am such a visual person. About how big are the pounded out strips of steak? Do you end up kind of spiraling them like metal shaving around the asparagus and green onion, or does it roll around them overlapping itself? Do I make any sense?
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: recipe flank steak/asparagas rolls by Gerrie (Hi all,[br] I am new...)
Thanks Gerrie! This sounds really good. I am going to get out my magazine and check it out. I hope I have this one. I thank you Jean for posting the recipe! You are a truly amazing woman!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: recipe flank steak/asparagas rolls by luvnit (Thanks Gerrie! This...)
Thanks for posting this. I'm going to make the lime rice to go with some grilled swordfish tomorrow night.
  Re: Re: recipe flank steak/asparagas rolls by Trixxee (Thanks for posting t...)
This sounds really good! For some odd reason, I skipped Volume 8. I want to get another volume this month, so this will probably be the one....that way, I'll have them in order backwards.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.