Hi everyone
  Re: (...)
I've always liked to bake but been too afraid (what if it comes out wrong, waste of food) to try new things. Finally now at 30 I'm starting to bake. The only way to get a recipe right is by trial error, right? I saw a recipe that consisted of poolish and this website popped up. I like all of the different items that they have here. Anyways as a mother of 5 ranging from 9 years to 9 months, I'm very excited to start experimenting in my kitchen and getting my family to try new things (I have plenty of people to experiment on LOL). Does anyone have a good pizza dough recipe. With the way things are right now, we haven't gone out to eat in months and my kids are wanting pizza. Thanks so much.
Housewife, raising 5 kids and 1 husband :-)
  Re: Hi everyone by Vern (I've always liked to...)
Welcome Vern! Glad we found each other There has been quite a few discussions on pizza dough. I'll try to search one of them up and post a link...if I remember how

Ok, up top is a list of features: My Home.Main Index.Search....click on search and in the search box type "pizza dough" including the quotation marks. Then in one of the lower boxes change 1 day or week or whatever to 1 year and then click the submit box...there are plenty of threads about pizza dough.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Hi everyone by Vern (I've always liked to...)
I think many people here agree that Jean's is the best. Later she will probbly come and post it for you.

Here is mine, for what it's worth:

Pizza Dough

3 Cups flour (and extra 1/2C or so for kneading)
1tsp yeast
1/2 C milk
1/2 C very warm water (mix with milk to get lukewarm)
2t salt
1t garlic pwder

Mix all together in food processor or by hand (this will take longer) Add a bit mor flour or liquid as ness to get a nice elastic feeling dough. Mix about 25 sec after dough forms in FP or knead for 10 min or more. Grease a bowl and let dough rise covered with plastic wrap til double in bulk in a warm place. Inside a gas oven with pilot is perfect. It will take at least an hour so don't panic. Punch it down and let it rise again, this will take a little less time but let it go. When ready roll out on flour surface. Top as desired. Bake at 450 on stone or cookie sheet, watch carefully, 10 min or til crust looks brown.
Btw welcome Vern
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Hi everyone by farnfam (I think many people ...)
Jean, forgive me....here it is....(Please look at the notes about the "pillows" of cheese at the end.....very important.) This is the BEST pizza dough! I MUST make pizza this weekend!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Jean's Pizza Dough

Recipe By :Jean
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Baked Goods

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 cup water -- plus 3 tablespoons
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 3/4 cups bread flour -- (13.5 oz)
1/4 cup whole wheat flour -- (1.1 oz.)
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 cup Nonfat Dry Milk Powder -- (.7 oz.)
2 teaspoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons Active dry yeast

Using a Mixer: Put everything in the big bowl of a kitchen-aid, mix it for 5 to 7 minutes, let it rise right in the bowl, then punch it down, it's ready to use or cover it with plastic and use the next day.

For individual pizzas - divide dough into quarters or thirds. Either freeze, refrigerate till needed, or top immediately with toppings of your choice.

If frozen, let the dough thaw in an oiled plastic bag in the refrigerator overnight.

Oven: Once you have your toppings on the dough, bake at 450° for ~15 min., or till crust is golden.

Grill: Medium to medium high heat - grill for 4 min.; remove from grill and turn grilled side up - you'll want the uncooked side down. Top with toppings; place back on grill for 6 min. more, with the lid closed, rotating if necessary.

Source:
"From Cuisine at Home Forum"
S(Internet Address):
"http://www.forums.cuisineathome.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=1&Number=48544&Searchpage=1&Main=48542&Words=pizza+dough+cjs&topic=&Search=true#Post48544"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

For variation: Add to dough: 1 Tsp. Each Dried Oregano & Basil (DO THIS!)

"Cubed soft cheese on pizza is far superior to grated mixtures as cubes produce pillows of melted cheese of varying flavours so each bite is just a little different. Hard cheese such as Parm, Romano and Asiago are best if freshly grated into long thin strips."

Jean's notes:
'Za Cheese (DO THIS!)

So, I now have in my freezer large plastic bags of mixed cubed cheeses -
1 lb. Mozz
1 lb. provolone
1 lb. sharp cheddar

and one of 'grated long thin strips' of -
12 oz. Parmigiano-Reggiano
12 oz. Asiago

I used this combination on a pizza last night and it's a wonderful way to add the cheese. I've been grating/shredding the cheeses all my pizza making days - but, no more!
  Re: Re: Hi everyone by Gourmet_Mom (Jean, forgive me.......)
Welcome aboard from the resident pain the neck or elsewhere! Sounds like you will enjoy it here if you like to experiment...that is one of my "pastimes"

Stick around and never be afraid of failure in the kitchen...unless it is totally burnt beyond recognition it can be used for something! Sometimes just as a what not to do learning tool but still it is something...see you around!
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
One final note, I usually have to add a little more water(about 3 T). I don't know why it's not in my notes. The dough should be very smooth and elastic....not dry. I kid you not...this is THE BEST pizza dough you will ever make. I've tried a bunch and this one's got them all...hands down! YUM!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Hi everyone by farnfam (I think many people ...)
Thank you so much, I'll try it this weekend.
Mmmm, sounds yummy. I'll have to try it out. Hope it comes out as good as it sounds. Thanks so much for providing this for me.
  Re: Re: Hi everyone by Gourmet_Mom (One final note, I us...)
OK, I'll do that. I've made a couple and blah, hard dough, and my husband has asked me to stop making pizza's. The kids just ate the toppings. I'll give these a try and see what they says. Thanks a bunch.
  Re: Re: Hi everyone by firechef (Welcome aboard from ...)
Thanks for the warm welcoming :-). Question for you, where do I go to add my info to my name. I see that everyone has info on them and I can't figure out where to go. Thanks